Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gotta Go Early...



Howards
13500 Baltic Avenue
Long Beach Township, NJ 08008

My uncle suggested we take my girlfriend to one of our favorite places in LBI one weekend this past summer because she hadn't been there still even though we had been spending parts of three summers down there together. It’s a place that is constantly packed and you have to get there early if you want to get a table. We usually head over by 5:30 at the latest because they do not take reservations. We got there at the perfect and were seated right away. I had been raving about the place to my girlfriend for some time, so I was really happy to be there with her.



I knew I wanted to get some fish for dinner because that it what they do best, so I started with a cup of lobster bisque and then I ordered grouper with artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and white wine butter sauce. My aunt had also ordered a shrimp and crab ceviche to share for the table. 



The soup came out pretty quickly, so dug in with some gusto because I was quite hungry. I hadn’t been to Howard's in almost a year, but I could remember how creamy and delicious their lobster bisque was, so I had to order it. It was exactly as I had remembered it; creamy and delicious with large chunks of lobster dispersed throughout. I amped it up a bit with a shower of black pepper, and used the delicious rolls that were brought out to wipe the cup clean.



The shrimp and crab ceviche was a nice surprise when it came out. I was shocked my aunt had ordered it, and even more shocked when my uncle tried it. It was presented beautifully and it tasted just as good. The citrus bite that is always prevalent in ceviche was quite prominent, and the fish was tender and flavorful. The avocado was a nice touch too for a bit of textural contrast and creaminess.



My entrée was an absolute home run. The grouper was seared perfectly on one side, leaving a really nice crunchy exterior. The artichoke hearts were nice and tender, and brought an element of freshness to the dish. The bite that you got from the sun dried tomatoes and the tang that was received from the white wine sauce really cut through the richness of the butter and melded perfectly with the delicious grouper.  



Another thing that Howards is famous for is their deep fried lobster. I don't think I have ever seen it on the menu at another restaurant, but I definitely think it should be. It is absolutely delicious! My girlfriend had ordered some with her meal, and I had a piece… it really doesn’t ever get old! Its crispy as can be on the outside, and yet still tender and succulent on the inside the way lobster should be. Dipping it into melted butter just puts the proverbial icing on the cake. 



For dessert I allowed my girlfriend to choose what we shared. She decided on the chocolate fudge brownie. The brownie was served piping hot, with a delicious pool of fudge surrounding it on the plate. The dish was completed with a scoop of deliciously creamy vanilla ice cream. It was a homerun as a dessert. It was delightfully sweet and rich, and we made it disappear quite quickly.

3 and half pints for Howards for their flawless execution of delicious seafood. Consistency is key here, and they really do everything well. Like I said, you have to go early, or you won't get in. Howards really is a standout star of LBI's restaurant scene. They offer wonderful fish options, and fried lobster… need I say more? Give it a try if you are in the area, but make sure you go early because they don’t take reservations. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers