Monday, December 30, 2013

Simple Mexican...



La Cita
911 Marlton Pike West
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

My sister was looking for a new job a few months ago, and she asked me to meet up for lunch one day when she was finished with her interview. I told her about a Mexican place I was looking to try in the area and I knew she would say yes, so we headed to La Cita on route 70 in Cherry Hill to grab some lunch and catch up.



The restaurant used to house a Mexican "supermercado", but it moved a few doors down and the owners opened up the restaurant. It was a great place to do so, because there really wasn’t any good Mexican in the area. The restaurant is very small and it is plainly decorated inside. The menu had some options on it that seemed very authentic to me, things I hadn’t seen on many Mexican menus before including chilaquiles and cemitas. These happened to be the two things that my sister and I ordered to eat, and I ordered myself an horchata to drink. Horchata is a rice milk drink that is sweet and has a nice cinnamon flavor to it. I slurped it all down and I would love to have it more often. Before they bring out your food, they give you chips and salsas for the table. They offered two different types of salsa, a salsa verde which had quite a kick to it, and a salsa roja which was more of traditional red salsa, a little bit of a kick, but much sweeter than the salsa verde. The chips came topped with a small bit of refried beans and a touch of cheese. They were stupendously crispy. I could have eaten the entire plate myself. 




A cemita is a sandwich that originated in a town called Puebla in Mexico. I first found out what it was by watching an episode of Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives. It’s a sandwich that is like the Mexican version of a gyro. The meat is typically cooked on a spit and then sliced to order when the sandwiches are made. Unfortunately it didn’t seem that that’s the way this one was made because of the type of meat that I ordered. I ordered the carnitas cemita. Carnitas are traditionally fried or braised and then roasted in their own juices before being served. The sandwich was served with cucumbers, radishes, a lime wedge and some charred green onions. The sandwich was also layered with avocado, cilantro and raw onion. The only thing I didn’t like about the sandwich was the way the meat was cut. I prefer the carnitas I eat to be shredded and to have a bit of texture to them. These particular carnitas were cubed, but they lacked texture. I think that had they been a bit crispy it would have made all the difference in the world. The flavor was definitely there, but the texture was a little lacking for me. Also the bread didn’t hold up to the weight of the sandwich very well. The bread was flimsy and fell apart as I was eating it, which was unfortunate because it was a delicious sandwich. 




I think La Cita deserves two solid pints. The authenticity of the menu is very intriguing, and I think with a bit of fine tuning the place will really turn out to be great; after all they had only been open for just over a month when I was there. It is definitely worth checking out, so let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers