Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Smoke 'em If Ya Got 'em...



Percy Street BBQ
900 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

Since I rarely have fun on New Year’s Eve and my girlfriend was actually going to be back in Philly for once (she normally spends it in Miami or Puerto Rico with family), I spent it with her in the city. We made reservations at Percy Street BBQ, a gem in the empire of Michael Solomonov, and in very close proximity to her apartment. I was very excited to try it, having walked past it hundreds of times and smelled the delicious aroma that emanated from its smoker. 




When we were seated, I immediately loved the atmosphere. It was very casual, as a good BBQ joint should be, with a roll of paper towels stationed near your table, and a holder full of different sauce options also on the table. Our waitress told us that they were having a buy 5 cans get 1 free special, so we ordered a mix six pack of Flying Dog Underdog, Butternuts Pork Slap, 21st Amendment Fireside, Sprecher Special Ale, Narragansett Porter, and Starr Northern Lights IPA. They put the entire six-pack on ice for us so that we could enjoy them at our leisure. I could not resist ordering one of the weirdest drinks I had ever heard of. It is called the Hillbilly Gatorade, a concoction of pickle juice, Miller Hi-Life, and Old Faithful BBQ sauce. As weird as it sounds, it was actually pretty tasty. Nothing was too overpowering in the drink, so everything worked pretty well together. I especially liked the pickle juice element. I hate Miller Hi-Life, but it wasn’t so bad in this case, as the BBQ sauce and pickle juice hid the nastiness that usually lies within its bottle. 





The way it works at Percy Street is that you can either order platters or sandwiches with accompanying sides. I decided on the smoked pork belly with sides of burnt end beans and mustard green beans, while my girlfriend decided on the brisket with fries and sauerkraut. Whenever we go out to eat now we pretty much split everything 50/50, so we each get a taste of each thing we order. The food didn’t take long, and we were quite happy about that as we got our baskets and immediately dug in. The pork belly was phenomenal. I never would have thought of pork belly to be served BBQ style with a dry rub and smoke flavor, but it was amazing. It wasn’t overly fatty as I thought it might be, but rather tender and juicy, as the fat seemed to have rendered perfectly during the low and slow cooking process. The green beans were nothing too exciting, just crispy blanched green beans with mustard dressing, but the burnt end beans were spot on. Hot damn were they tasty. I have come to really enjoy baked beans, especially with a little bit of spice and some burnt ends dispersed throughout… there aren’t too many things I would find more delicious. 




My girlfriend and I switched plates halfway through our meal, and I got to try out the brisket. She got the lean brisket, as you can order lean or fatty, and it was super tender. It was flavorful, with a great smoky taste and a really nice texture. It pulled apart the way BBQ competition judges say it should, and melted in my mouth with each and every bite. The sauerkraut was forgettable. It really lacked flavor and the vinegary punch that I expect from truly good sauerkraut. The fries on the other hand were fantastic. They were seasoned nicely, and crispy on the outside while remaining light and airy on the inside. 


 

You all know by now that skipping dessert isn’t really an option, and while we usually split a dessert these days, we decided to order two, because we each particularly wanted something. We decided on the Yards root beer float, and the pecan pie. I am as big a fan of root beer as anyone, so I knew I would love the root beer float. This particular brand of root beer is made by a local beer company in Philadelphia called Yards Brewery. It was very tasty, and the ice cream held up well in the soda. I had never tasted a pecan pie before, a sin I know, especially since I went to college below the Mason Dixon line, so my girlfriend told me we had to order it. I am glad she said that, because it was a really tasty dessert. I know it isn’t good for you, but I don’t really care because it was really good. The pecans are really nice, and the crust is really what kicks it into another gear. I will definitely be adding it to my list of desserts to eat more often.

Three and a half pints for Percy Street BBQ for their excellent food, their ability to nail their mantra in a city not known for BBQ, and their simplistic yet flawless approach to food. I really enjoy this restaurant for many reasons, and it just further points out to me what a great chef Michael Solomonov is. Each of his restaurants  that I have been to has been a homerun, and each of them has impressed me in a different way. They are inventive and original and I have nothing but respect for them. You should check out Percy Street as soon as you can! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers