Monday, January 27, 2014

Tacos, tacos, tacos...



Las Lomas
8 Railroad Avenue
Hammonton, NJ 08037

My former coworker and I had plans to dive into the Mexican food scene in Hammonton before he bailed and left my firm. Lucky for me he didn’t go far, and we were still able to go out to lunch when I was down in Hammonton. I had read an article about how the food scene in Hammonton was moving from old school Italian to a mix of both Italian and Latin because of the high population of Latinos in town that work for the farms during the growing season. The first place that we wanted to try was a small joint called Las Lomas. 



I met him there, and we grabbed two seats at the counter.  I couldn’t resist ordering a Jarritos, a delicious brand of Mexican sodas that come in various fruit flavors. I decided to try the Mandarin flavor, which turned out to be delicious. I was a bit worried because fruit and soda seem to be doubly sweet, but the soda wasn’t overly sweet so it worked out perfectly.  I ordered up some carne enchilada (marinated spicy pork) tacos and some carnitas tacos, two of each, and we sat back and waited for our food.

They brought us some chips and salsas while we waited for our tacos. As with most Mexican restaurants, they offer many different kinds of salsa. We asked for a normal variety, simply a salsa roja, and the spiciest one they had called salsa endiablada, or devil's salsa. Both were very delicious. I always prefer my salsas, or anything for that matter, to have as much of a kick as I can handle, so I was more particular to the salsa endiablada. It had a really nice amount of heat, while not losing the integrity of the salsa. Fresh tortilla chips are always the right choice, and these were as good as any. The deliciousness of the chips and salsa made me really excited for our tacos to come out. 



When the tacos came out, the blissfulness of the meal continued. Fresh corn tortillas, perfectly seasoned meats, just the right amount of cilantro, onion and lime juice, were enough to make me feel like I was sitting on the street in Mexico enjoying some tacos. The perfect marriage of those flavors is truly unparalleled, and the more I have it done right, the better it becomes to my taste buds. I devoured them all, barely stopping to take a breath in between. 



Three pints for the delicious Las Lomas. The only thing that really threw me off was the decoration and feel inside. It clearly used to be a diner at some point because they have the counter set up like a diner still. It is a really cool little place in Hammonton, and apparently they have a location in Vineland so feel free to check that one out too. You will get some authentic Mexican fare for an affordable price. Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers