Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Taste of Home for the Lady...



Colombian Bakery
4944 North 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19120

While reading up on some food information, I came across a place in the Northeast I knew my fiancé would love. We usually only really get good Colombian food in Miami when we are spending time with her family, so I was excited about the prospect of finding a place here in Philly to take her to for a taste of home. We drove up on a Sunday morning to try a place uniquely named Colombian Bakery. It had a pretty friendly feel to it. Everyone there seemed to know each other. It was like the neighborhood hangout. 



We ordered some of our favorites, of course lots of carbs, because there seems to be carbs in every Latin meal. We ordered an arepa, a buneulo, a pan de bono and a Colombian soda called Colombiana. 



Arepas are corn based dough discs that are used a lot in the cuisines of Colombia and Venezuela. They eat them at all meals with different accompaniments. Here we had ours plain, but made with white cheese as well as corn. Arepas are really delicious. The corn flavor is the star, and the addition of the white cheese really makes it a bit salty and really tasty. Pan de bono is a bread made of cassava starch and corn flour and made with eggs and cheese. The buneulos are the most different of the three. They are a sweeter bread and they have a cruster exterior that is amazing. You can eat it with a cup of coffee or anything. Its sweet enough, but not overly sweet so it doesn’t quite taste like a pastry. 




Three pints for Colombian Bakery. The Colombian breads are fantastic and really flavorful. It was super affordable and the food was fantastic. I liked the breads better than the ones I have had in Miami. My fiancé was super happy and I was glad she got a taste of home. Its really fantastic and and we will definitely be back. Check it out and let me know! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers