Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Center City Beauty...



Matyson
37 South 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

My fiancé and I went here one night to take in the space and taste the food because it was in the running for spaces for our rehearsal dinner. We we're seated immediately upon arrival at a table in the back near the kitchen. The space is pretty small and very tight, but it's very beautifully decorated and the ambiance is great. I had heard the food was awesome when Ben Puchowitz, now of Cheu Noodle Bar fame, was running the kitchen. I was hoping it was going to be just as good now.



We took our normal plan of action and ordered one appetizer and an entree each and one dessert. Our wine was opened as poured, but unfortunately that was the last time it was touched by our servers. It's probably just a pet peeve of mine, but when I go to a BYOB, I want them to pour the wine for us. I know we didn't buy the wine there obviously, but I'd still like it served. Maybe that's just me being a snob and if it is, my apologies.






Other than that our evening was perfect. We started with the ricotta cavatelli. Amazing! The pasta was incredibly tender and soaked up the duck ragout incredibly well. I loved the kale and the crunchy bits of pistachio were amazing to pair with the richness of the duck. 





For our main courses we ordered the the Australian rack of lamb and New York strip steak. Both of our meats were perfectly cooked. They were complimented amazingly well by delicious greens, veggies and sauces. I especially loved the kick from the jalapeño in the chimichurri sauce on the steak. Everything had really nice seasoning to it, and it was all cooked really well. 





Not to be outdone we had the pine nut tart with apricot preserves and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Wow. So tasty! It was an absolutely beautiful plate and the taste was perfection. The crust of the tart was buttery and held together nicely with the filling so perfect pieces broke off with each dig you too into the dessert. I also really enjoyed both the flavor of and the size of the ice cream scoop. There was plenty to go around for the whole dessert and it didn’t last long. They even removed the dessert from the bill because it took so long to get to us. 





Three and a half pints for Matyson. There is some really special food coming out of the kitchen at Matsyon. I really liked the look and the feel of the place, and if we didn’t have such a large group for our rehearsal dinner, we probably would have booked it. Place is great, check it out! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers