Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Farm to Table at its Finest...

Farmicia
15 South 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

My girlfriend’s parents had come into town for the weekend for her birthday a few months ago, so we went out to dinner to a place that we had been looking forward to trying for some time. We went to Farmicia in Olde City, a farm to table restaurant with a focus on fresh ingredients and tasty, yet simple food. I thought that our meal was great, but my girlfriend wasn’t impressed. I personally know how difficult it can be to make simple things to perfection in the kitchen, so I appreciated the concept behind the restaurant and our meal. I think she might have been expecting a bit more, but I think they hit their mantra right on. 



We started out with an appetizer of crispy Vietnamese calamari that was served with a sweet and hot tomato dipping sauce. The product lived up to the description as the squid was really crispy. It was tender inside the crunchy crust, and it was accented by the delicious sweet and hot dipping sauce. 




My main course was a tuna steak, grilled to medium rare perfection with lemon and olive oil, green beans and red potatoes covered in tarragon-caper aioli. My tuna was cooked perfectly, and it was seasoned just right. The ingredients were simple: olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, but they were just what were needed to enhance the flavor of the tuna. The potatoes were nicely roasted, and the green beans were crunchy and delicious. My only complaint about the dish was the tarragon-caper aioli. The flavor was very good, but it was a bit too thick in my opinion. It was less of a dipping sauce as it should have been and it had more of a texture like a compound butter. I didn’t really like the texture that it provided.  





For dessert, my girlfriend and I shared a brownie sundae topped with house made vanilla ice cream and house made whipped cream. The entire thing was absolutely delicious. There is nothing like homemade ice cream. It was so creamy and delicious that we ate up every bit in mere minutes.

I would love to get down to Farmacia for brunch one day. I have heard that it is absolutely phenomenal for brunch. However, I definitely think it is worth visiting for lunch or dinner as well. The food was perfectly executed, and the flavors were all quite delicious. Get out there and try it as soon as you can. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers