Monday, June 18, 2012

Out of Bounds Donuts...

Federal Donuts
1219 South 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19126

My girlfriend and I do not usually get up as early as we did on Saturday a few months ago, but we had both been dying to try Michael Solomonov’s new venture called Federal Donuts since it opened. It is a small donut shop that also serves fried chicken. It is a really interesting concept, and to have one of the best fine dining chefs in the city open up a casual spot like this was a pretty cool idea. Granted it’s not his first casual dining establishment. He also opened Percy Street BBQ, which I am also dying to try. We decided to cab it down to Federal Donuts because we didn’t really know where it was, and then walk back to her apartment on 16th Street because it was a really nice morning.



When we got there we didn’t have to wait long to try our donuts. They had some samples cut up when we got there, so I got to taste their lemon poppy seed donut which was absolutely fantastic. Lemon and poppy seed is a pretty awesome combination, but I never thought it would work in a sweet manner with icing. I will definitely order that one when I go back. Federal donuts serve both hot and cold donuts, so my girlfriend and I picked out 3 donuts and then split them all so we could get a good taste for the place. We ordered the appollonia donut, which was served hot, the chocolate-spicy peanut donut, and the nutella, tehina, and pomegranate donut. 



We tried the appollonia donut first and it was pretty scrumptious. I had to look up what is in the appollonia spice because I couldn’t figure it out. From what I found it looks like it’s a mix of cocoa, orange blossom, and a hint of pepper. It was a pretty delicious donut, and I bet it’s ridiculously good when dipped into milk or coffee. The next donut up was the chocolate-spicy peanut donut. It was my least favorite of the bunch, but it was still a really good donut. You got a little hint of spice with each bite, and the crunch of the peanuts on top was a nice change of texture. 



The last donut was the best in my opinion. It sounded a little strange, but the taste was phenomenal. The donut was stuffed inside with the nutella, and then the glaze on top was the pomegranate with sesame seeds in it as well. The tehina must have been a part of the batter because I didn’t really notice its flavor too much. The pomegranate glaze on top was simply insane. It was so sweet and a little bit tangy. I loved each and every bite of it.



I cannot wait to go back to Federal Donuts to try both more of the donuts and the fried chicken. I am sure they are all fantastic, so I cannot wait to go back. You should go too and let me know what you think! They are opening a second location near Rittenhouse Square very soon! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers