Monday, June 24, 2013

A Classic Reborn...



Catelli Duo
12101 Town Center Boulevard
Voorhees, NJ 08043

I was pretty bummed when Catelli's closed a few months ago. My sadness was reversed however when I heard that the chef would be opening a new place with two of my uncle's friends becoming partners with him. My uncle decided we should all go for my aunt's birthday to try it together about two weeks after it opened. 




The restaurant décor is absolutely incredible. It really is beautiful inside. The bar is great, the outdoor fire pit is a really great spot to have some drinks, especially during the warmer summer nights, and the restaurant just looks beautiful inside. It has an open floor plan, and you really get a great view of the décor from everywhere in the restaurant. We sat down and ordered some wine, and my uncle ordered us some cheese steak egg rolls while we perused over the rest of the menu. Unfortunately for us, and especially in my opinion, the cheese steak egg rolls were the best part of the meal. They were super crunchy, fried to perfection, and the whiz sauce that they were served with was amazing.




We all ordered our respective meals, without much help from our server who seemed out of sorts. I am not sure if he had ever served anywhere before Catelli Duo opened, but he was extremely inept in many ways. He didn’t spend much face time with us at the table, he left our drinks sitting on the bar for a long time before bringing them to us one at a time, and he didn’t seem to know the menu very well. I had ordered a bowl of the lobster bisque, and the veal carbonara, a signature dish of theirs. Catelli Duo offers two different sizes when it comes to appetizers, one being a small plate style, and one being a more social style for more people to share.    




I was really excited to try the rest of the food because the meal had started on such a high note with the cheese steak egg rolls. Unfortunately, the lobster bisque didn’t live up to the expectations. It was lukewarm when it came out, and although it had pretty good flavor, I was less than impressed with it. It didn’t have enough cream in it to really make it a good bisque, and I thought it was really strange that you would have chunks of crab in a lobster bisque. I know lobster is expensive, but if that’s the case then make a crab bisque instead. Don’t call it a lobster bisque and then put crab in it. 



After the disappointment in my soup, I was hoping my veal carbonara wasn’t going to give me the same feeling. It wasn’t as bad as the soup, but it really wasn’t good either. The veal wasn’t well seasoned at all. The carbonara sauce was pretty bland as well. The pasta was cooked well, but that was really the only thing good about the dish. It was a severe disappointment. My cousin's husband had ordered a stuffed veal chop saltimbocca and not only did it come out raw in the middle, but it wasn’t stuffed with anything. The waiter then tried to explain that saltimbocca isn’t stuffed, but that isn’t right. The manager came over and said that it should have been and he would take it off of our bill. 




I decided to give them one last chance for dessert, and I am glad that I did because it made the experience a tiny bit better. My girlfriend and I decided to split the baked Alaska. It looked beautiful when it came out with the perfectly toasted meringue on the outside. Inside was some delicious vanilla ice cream and a tasty little piece of brownie on the bottom. The caramel sauce on the bottom was nice, but the brownie was a bit too hard and the dish overall lacked the flair of a traditional baked Alaska. 

Two pints for Catelli Duo. I had really high expectations for Catelli Duo based on knowing that the chef that used to run Catelli's was still in the kitchen and he had a hip new place to work with. Unfortunately though I don’t think that they are operating at optimal levels right now. Hopefully they will get their act together in the next few months and it will be better the next time I go back. For now I can’t tell you go to there after the experience that I had, but I will keep you posted if they redeem themselves on my next visit. From what I have heard in the past few months, things have improved in the food department over there. They seemed to have remedied some of their kinks from what I have been told, so I am looking forward to giving them a second chance. Check it out and let me know! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers