Monday, July 8, 2013

Ghost of Brunches Past...



Carman's Country Kitchen
1301 South 11th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

I have been on a brunch binge lately. I seem to always have it on my mind, and I love looking at the places on this awesome list of restaurants I found recently. One of the places on that list was Carman's Country Kitchen. I had heard some sad news that it would be closing in December, so I decided to go there with my girlfriend one Saturday morning in October. It was an extremely small place, 8 seats at the counter, and 3 tables of 4 seats apiece. We put in our name and waited a while to be seated, but once we were seated, I knew we were going to enjoy our meal. 



Each day there are only 4 items on the menu. They are written on the white board. Each item is also given a suggested meat to accompany it. There was one waiter, and one Carman in the kitchen cooking all the food. The décor was very interesting. There were more penises decorating that room then you could possibly imagine… haha; it was an eclectic decor at its finest. The waiter came over and described the dishes, and my girlfriend and I decided on our meals; for her pancakes with apples, peaches, and walnuts and a side of apple wood smoked bacon, and for me French toast topped with barbequed baked beans and a side of house made andouille sausage. It sounds like a weird combination, but man did it make so much sense when I tasted it for the first time.




The coffee comes out piping hot, and the waiter topped us off whenever we asked. I love places that do that, instead of nickel and diming you every time you want some more coffee. The food took a little while to come out, but that’s to be expected when there is only one person cooking in the kitchen and everything is scratch made. When the food arrived I was eager to get to eating it.



I dug in immediately because I was so intrigued by this combination. The French toast was crispy on the exterior and very warm and moist on the interior. The barbequed beans were smoky and packed full of flavor like a rich barbeque sauce. They had a nice little kick to them too, and the salty and smoky deliciousness that they provided were the perfect contrast to the slightly sweet and buttery French toast. The real mind blower came when I drizzled the maple syrup on top of it all. All I have to say about that is wow. Salty and sweet is my favorite combination, and when you through smoky into the mix, it puts me in a state of euphoria. That being said, I think the best thing on the plate was the house made andouille sausage. The casing had an incredible amount of snap to it, and the sausage was spicy as can be. The depth of flavor was simply remarkable.



Three and a half pints for Carman's Country Kitchen. I loved the meal and the ambiance at Carman's Country Kitchen. The only thing that I really did not feel fit the atmosphere was the price. I wound up paying 40 plus dollars for pancakes and French toast. Highway robbery at best, but I am not sure if it was always that way, or if the owner was simply trying to make as much money as possible before closing her doors. Either way, Carman's was a great place to grab some brunch and it is sad that it forever closed its doors. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers