Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Old School Ice Cream...



Franklin Fountain
116 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

I love old school places. One of my favorite steps back in time is the Franklin Fountain in Old City. It is an old-time soda shop serving housemade ice cream, and doing everything the way it was done in the early 1900s. From the second you step inside, you feel like you are in the past. From the cash register to the phone on the wall, to the employees’ uniforms, everything looks straight out of the 1920's. The flavors however are new school, and the owners have been nailing both them and their concept for some time now. My girlfriend loves to go get ice cream there, so we went on the same night I made the venison to have some dessert. 




We decided to split something, and I let my girlfriend choose. She wound up choosing the ‘Lightning Rod’, a sundae with a dark chocolate brownie topped with coffee ice cream, a shot of espresso, chocolate covered espresso beans, and a pretzel rod. The line was pretty long on this particular visit, but I have definitely seen it much longer. 




Once we got our sundae, we sat down at one of the open tables outside and dug in. I thought the flavors were pretty bold. They smacked you right in the face and most of them were really delicious. I loved the coffee ice cream and the chocolate covered espresso beans. I did not really enjoy the shot of espresso or the brownie underneath though. The brownie was a little too rich, almost like a chunk of fudge, and the espresso shot was just a little bitter to be mixing nicely with the ice cream. However, I thought the good outweighed the bad, and I would still tell you to check out the ‘Lightning Rod’ sundae when you go.




Three and a half pints for Franklin Fountain. Franklin Fountain is one of the coolest places I have ever been. I love ice cream, and I can’t think of a cooler place to experience good ice cream anywhere. They scratch make everything in house, and they have a long history of success. Go out, try it and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers