Monday, October 14, 2013

Bangkok Dining Experiences Part II...



Dining Experiences in Bangkok Continued…

The first night that we were in Thailand, my girlfriend told her parents that she wanted to have dinner at the Thai restaurant in the hotel called Charm Thai. Some of the waiters recognized my girlfriend and her parents from when they lived in the hotel. We indulged in some delicious Thai treats. We had som tam, a spicy green papaya salad that is packed with a flavorful punch, gai pad krapow, a delicious dish of minced chicken, basil, and lots of Thai chilis, and my first experience with mango sticky rice. The food was phenomenal, and seeing as it was our first night in Thailand, I knew I was going to enjoy eating here very much. Everything, even the papaya salad was wonderfully spicy. Its not the type of heat that makes it uncomfortable to eat, but it definitely packs enough of a punch to make you get a little sweaty and make your nose run a little bit. The Holiday Inn in Bangkok is spectacular and there is some really delicious food in the hotel. Check it out if you ever visit.

My girlfriend ranted and raved about her favorite pizza place while living in Bangkok, a little Italian joint called Limoncello, so we headed over one day to have lunch. It was a cute restaurant, looked like it was taken directly from Italy and moved to Thailand. It had a very homey feel to it and it smelled incredible as soon as we walked in the door. They had a legitimate brick oven pizza that looked as though it had been flown in from Italy. We ordered two pizzas first and decided to see how full we were after we ate them. They were really thin pizzas, some of the thinnest I have ever seen. We ordered a four cheese white pizza, and one with red sauce topped with meat. After devouring the two pizzas we ordered first, we decided to order one more topped with parma prosciutto. They were all so incredibly fantastic, I knew exactly why my girlfriend loved the place so much. It was very authentic, and you should all check it out if you ever visit Bangkok.

We went to dinner one night with my girlfriend's father's former coworker at a place called the Spice Market, a Thai restaurant in the Four Seasons hotel. Before we went in to the restaurant, we sipped some lemongrass martinis in the lobby bar. My girlfriend's father had raved about how good the lemongrass martinis were, and they lived up to the hype. The vodka was mellowed out by the lemongrass and it gave it a smooth and incredibly delicious flavor. I sucked down two of them with ease before we headed in to dinner and indulged in some more delectable Thai food. While this food wasn’t quite as good as the food at Baan Khanitha, it was still supurb. We ate green curry this time, not as spicy as the red, but just as flavorful. We also indulged in some deep fried fish cakes called Thord Mun Pla, Som Tam the green papaya salad, a spicy soup with shrimp called Tom Yam Goong, Sa-Tay Ruam, assorted grilled chicken, beef, pork, and shrimp satay with peanut sauce, and of course, yet another serving of mango sticky rice. We ate it all family style, and it was wonderfully scrumptious.

One night before heading out for the evening with our friend that lives in Bangkok, we headed to a Lebanese place that my girlfriend loved in the Arab quarter called Beiruit. It was a pretty cool little place and it reminded me a lot of my trip to Bahrain a few years ago. I don’t get to enjoy Arab food very often, and especially Arab food of the quality that is offered at Beiruit. I ordered a lemon juice with mint and it was one of the most fantastic things I have ever sipped! I thought that it would be far too acidic, but the mint and whatever else it was mixed with toned down the acidity wonderfully. I’ve been craving another one ever since! We also ordered some hummus to share, a chicken shawarma, and I got to eat some of my girlfriend's fattoush salad, a salad with tomatoes, chickpeas, mint and pita bread. All of the food was phenomenal. 




One last food experience in Bangkok to talk about, which was one of the coolest ones for me… I wish we had eaten more street food and traveled to the famous street food street Thong Lore, but I did get to try street food on the night that we traveled to Khao San road. My girlfriend loved these banana crepes that some of the food vendors make that are called banana roti. It was a crepe cooked on an upside down bowl, stuffed with caramelized bananas, and topped with some sweetened condensed milk. It was sweet and delicious. I could have eaten about ten of them.





Thailand was a food kingdom for me. It was incredible to see all of the different foods and things they have to offer. I can’t wait to go back already. I want to try more of the street food and travel to some of the other parts of Thailand and sample some of their offerings. Anyone that loves food would fall in love with Thailand as I have. I hope you all take that seriously, and consider traveling to Thailand because it is an amazing place. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers