Thursday, October 31, 2013

French Mastery...



DB Bistro Moderne
55 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036

My girlfriend's dad had to go to New York in December for a meeting with the travel agents that sell his hotel. We used it as an excuse to visit New York and go see him for the weekend. We hung out with him the entire time which was nice, and we got to do some of the touristy things people do in New York around Christmas time, so that was nice as well. We got up there on Saturday morning, after spending an hour getting from one side of the Lincoln tunnel to the other, and we headed out to lunch immediately. One of my girlfriend’s managers had told her about a place called DB Bistro Moderne in Manhattan not too far from our hotel, so we headed down to check it out. As we approached the door, her father told us that he had been there before, and we all had a laugh as we walked inside. As it turns out it is his sales manger’s favorite restaurant in Manhattan to take clients to.



It is a French bistro style restaurant. The chef is actually very well known in New York. His name had come up a few times while doing some restaurant research, so I knew we would be in for a treat, especially since we don’t get to eat French food very often. I ordered a cup of potato leek soup and the crispy duck confit. 



They brought us out a basket of bread that had some croissants and savory breads in it, which was a great way to start our meal out since we were all ravenous. The croissants were flaky and buttery as they should be, and luckily put a hold on our hunger for a moment while we waited for the rest of our meal to arrive.



The potato and leek soup was heavenly. It was rich and creamy, the texture of which I had never experienced before. It was incredibly smooth, and the flavor was out of this world. It disappeared quickly.



I was super excited when the crispy duck confit came out. I had had duck confit before in various dishes, but I had never actually had a full confited leg before. The skin was a wonderfully crispy, simply cracking at the touch of my fork, and the meat was succulent and tender. The sweet and sour duck jus underneath was out of this world. It was salty yet ever so slightly sweet, with layers of flavor in each and every taste. I devoured the duck confit and sat back and sighed in the satisfaction of being full. 



DB Bistro Modern gets three and half pints from me. The only thing holding it back really was the price point, but then again I know I was a little out of my element because it was New York and things are expected to be a bit more expensive there. The food was spectacular, the service was just ok, but the ambiance was great. I would definitely return, and you should check it out too if you get the chance. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers