Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Breakfast in the Brewery...



La Cerveceria
65 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10003

One of my girlfriend's good friends from college lives in New York now, so on the Sunday of the weekend that we met her dad in New York, we went out to brunch with her. We went to a little Peruvian place called La Cerveceria or the Brewery. The name was pretty fitting because they had a large beer selection to choose from. I always jump at any chance to order a bloody Mary at brunch, so I ordered one up and sat back and waited for it to arrive. We ordered our drinks while we waited for my girlfriend's friend to arrive. Mine didn’t last long because it was pretty tasty, although for my taste, there wasn’t quite enough horseradish.  I really like my bloody Mary to have a really nice kick to it. This one wasn’t bad by any means, so I sucked it down quickly.  The menu was pretty small, but there were plenty of choices that peaked my interest. I decided to order the poached eggs with quinoa risotto and grilled skirt steak. 




As I have mentioned numerous times, my obsession with poached eggs continues. I love the texture and taste of them, and still can’t believe I didn’t try them until a few months ago. These particular poached eggs were very tasty, but they were just a bit overdone. The yolks didn’t run at all, so that was one drawback for me, but the rest of the dish was outstanding. The quinoa risotto was creamy and delicious, with peas dispersed throughout. There was a touch of creamy hollandaise on top of the eggs, and the perfectly charred skirt steak was tender and juicy. There was some sort of sweet and spicy sauce on it that made each bite simply that much better. 





My girlfriend can't go without dessert, no matter what time of day, so we wound up ordering one dessert and splitting it between us all. It was a deliciously light cheesecake topped with a mango reduction and some crushed pistachios. It was light and airy, and each bite had a spectacular tang to it from the cheese it was made with. Sometimes I am not a huge fan of the fruit sauces that go over cheesecake, but this mango reduction was outstanding. It wasn’t overpoweringly sweet, so it meshed nicely with the cheesecake.





La Cerveceria gets a solid 2 and a half pints of beer. The portion sizes were pretty small for the price we paid, so that was one drawback. The service wasn’t great, so that took away from the experience as well, but the food was outstanding in terms of taste, and the ambiance was great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting New York City. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers