Thursday, November 21, 2013

Christmas Cookin...



Making Truffles and Queso Fundido

For Christmas this year I wanted to make a few different recipes that had caught my eye over the past few months. I have come to love truffles in all shapes and flavors, so I wanted to test my hand at making some of my own this Christmas. I had some of the best truffles I have ever had, made by my cousin's friend this summer, and I had been dying to make my own ever since. I decided to make both salted caramel truffles and peanut butter truffles. Some of my favorite flavor combinations in terms of sweets are chocolate and salted caramel as well as chocolate and peanut butter. I simply can’t get enough of either.

It was very difficult making the truffles, but I am not sure if that was because I let the filling get too hard in the fridge before I dipped them in the chocolate.  The taste was fantastic, and everyone that tried them told me they loved them, so hopefully when you make them people will love them just as much! 




I had also seen a recipe for queso fundido in a magazine that I read on a monthly basis and it looked ridiculously good so I thought I would test my hand at making it. It was very easy to make, but I wish I had made it directly before serving it. I had made it two days in advance, and it just didn’t set up properly when it become solid again in the fridge after I cooked it. The taste was amazing because of the mixture of the chorizo, spicy salsa, and delicious cheese. Mixed with the whole grain scoops that I bought, it truly was an amazing snack. I have listed the recipe below for you to try yourself!

I definitely love to cook, but I know I have a long way to go when it comes to making some things. Baking and desserts are definitely a lot tougher for me than making savory food, and I just need a lot more practice in the kitchen in general. Hopefully the more I start cooking in the future; the better things will get for me. Cheers!



Peanut Butter Truffles

Ingredients

2 cups whipping cream
2 pounds white chocolate, melted
2 cups peanut butter
1 pound dark bittersweet chocolate
Crushed peanuts, for decoration

Directions

Scald cream in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and chill. Combine white chocolate and peanut butter together in a mixing bowl and blend together. Add chilled whipping cream and continue blending at high speed until a smooth consistency is achieved. Pour mixture into a suitable container and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours, to allow mixture to set.

Using a melon baller, or a number 70 scoop, form the mixture into balls. Place balls on a sheet pan and into the refrigerator to firm up.

Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler. Gently dip each ball in the melted chocolate so that it's fully coated. Decorate with crushed peanuts. Keep truffles in the refrigerator until required.

Salted Caramel Truffles

  • Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
  • 100ml thin cream
  • 1 tablespoon liquid glucose
  • Small pinch of sea salt flakes
  • 120g good-quality milk chocolate, finely chopped
  • 75g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
  • 20g butter, chopped
  • 200g good-quality dark chocolate, extra
  • Sea salt flakes, extra, to decorate
  • Method
  1. Step 1
Place the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until the sugar melts and turns a golden-brown color. Remove from heat. Add the cream, glucose and salt. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until the toffee melts and the mixture is smooth.
  1. Step 2
Place the combined chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Add the cream mixture and butter and stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
  1. Step 3
Line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll 1 teaspoon of chocolate mixture into a ball. Place on the prepared tray. Repeat with remaining chocolate mixture to make 40 truffles. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the truffles are firm.
  1. Step 4
Place the extra dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Use a metal spoon to stir for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and is smooth.
  1. Step 5
Line an oven tray with baking paper. Divide the truffles into 4 batches. Remove 1 batch from the fridge. Use a fork or truffle dipper to dip truffles, 1 at a time, in the melted chocolate to evenly coat. Gently tap the fork or dipper on the edge of the bowl to shake off any excess melted chocolate. Carefully place on the prepared tray. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining truffles and melted chocolate. Top each truffle with extra sea salt flakes to decorate. Set aside for 15 minutes to set.




Ingredients
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • 1 serrano chile, seeded, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
  • Kosher salt
  • 8 ounces coarsely grated mild yellow cheddar
  • 8 ounces coarsely grated Monterey Jack
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 4-ounce link fresh chorizo or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 1/2 cup lager
  • Tortilla chips
Preparation
  • Mix tomato, chile, and oregano in a small bowl. Season with salt; let salsa stand for 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, toss both cheeses with flour in a medium bowl. Cook chorizo in a medium saucepan over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to render, about 1 minute. Add onion and continue cooking until chorizo is cooked and onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  • Transfer chorizo mixture to a small bowl; return saucepan to heat. Add beer; simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits. Whisking constantly, add cheese mixture a 1/4-cupful at a time, allowing it to become blended and smooth between additions. Stir in chorizo mixture. DO AHEAD Queso can be made 30 minutes ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
  • To reheat, warm skillet with queso fundido over medium heat; stir until melted and bubbly.
  • Using a slotted spoon, spoon salsa over queso. Serve in skillet with a basket of tortilla chips on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers