Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Really Really Thin Pancakes...



Creperie Beau Monde
624 South 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

Another morning that we spent with my girlfriend's family around Thanksgiving, we took them to the Italian Market area of Philly to walk around. We had worked up a nice appetite while walking around in the morning, so we decided to stop and have some crepes at a place around the corner from my girlfriend's apartment. The menu looked phenomenal so we knew it would be a real treat and definitely something different. We stepped into Creperie Beau Monde for some breakfast. I hadn’t had crepes since being in Puerto Rico over a year ago, so I was really excited to have them again. 




I found it difficult to choose whether I wanted a sweet or savory crepe, but in the end I decided to have a smoked salmon crepe with artichoke hearts, béarnaise sauce, and two poached eggs. I am completely obsessed with poached eggs nowadays, so I am likely to order dishes that have anything to do with poached eggs. It was a hilarious few minutes when the food came out, because we had ordered a Nutella crepe for my girlfriend's niece, and she rather enjoyed it when she tasted it. She doesn’t eat much, but it was hilarious to watch her freak out, as she tasted Nutella for the first time. She would take a bite and then stop dead and shake with wide eyes like it was the greatest thing she had ever tasted in her life. We laughed quite a bit watching her before we dug into our own crepes. 




For those of you that have never had crepes before, they are delicious in both different ways. When they make them savory, they usually make them with buckwheat that give them a much more savory aspect to them. When they make them for sweet crepes, they use traditional flour and a bit more sugar to make them sweeter. These buckwheat crepes were fantastic. They were just slightly crispy on the outside, but they still had that pancake like texture inside. The smoked salmon was light with just enough of a smokey taste to make every bite delicious. The artichoke hearts were tender and acidic, and the béarnaise sauce was phenomenal. It was rich and creamy, and had just enough herbaciousness to kick it up another level. The poached eggs were cooked exactly how I like them. They ran when cut into, but not nearly as much as an over easy egg. I love eating crepes and these were truly spot on.





We also divided up the remainder of my girlfriend's niece's Nutella crepe because she only ate a small amount, and that was fantastic. It was crunchy enough on the outside, and filled with deliciously rich and creamy Nutella on the inside. The powdered sugar on top was the finishing touch of sweetness that rounded out the crepe to perfection for me. I have been thinking about that crepe ever since we had it, and I cannot wait to go back and have another.

Three and a half pints for Creperie Beau Monde. The execution was fantastic. The service was a touch slow, but overall the meal was amazing. I could eat them for every meal and never get sick of them. Creperie Beau Monde has a huge selection of crepes to choose from and they allow you to create your own as well. Anyone would love crepes once they try it, so go ahead and try it and let me know if you like it too! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers