Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fatten me up...



Fat Salmon
719 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Once we started into the Lenten season this year, I had planned out a bunch of seafood and sushi places for my girlfriend and me to try on Friday evenings. The first one up on that list was Fat Salmon, a sushi joint that I had been eyeing up for quite some time. The menu looked fantastic, so we were super excited to try it. We walked up and unfortunately had to wait about 20 minutes after our reservation, even though they had empty tables all over. 



After the initial disappointment, especially with the hostess, who was paying more attention to her phone than the guests, we were seated and paid very good attention to by our server. I ordered a Kirin Ichiban and my girlfriend ordered a Japanese craft beer I had never heard of called Hitchino Red Nest Ale. It was very interesting, but it was bit too fruity and sweet for my taste. We also ordered shrimp shumai and 5 rolls all listed out below.




·         Blossom Roll - shrimp, avocado, cucumber w spicy sauce inside, crab stick and avocado on top
·         Dancing Vampire Roll - cucumber, asparagus, and crunch inside, tuna, salmon and chili sauce on top
·         Tofu Holic Roll - Asparagus, yam, gourd tempura, spicy sauce inside, soy & mayo marinated tofu, asparagus, tomato scallion cucumber on top
·         Volcano Roll - crabstick, avocado, cucumber inside, spicy tuna with wasabi tobiko and crunchy inside
·         White Forest Roll - shrimp and salmon tempura w spicy sauce inside, pico de gallo and sour cream on top



The presentation was truly remarkable. It all came out on one big platter, and it was presented beautifully. That wasn’t the best part though, that was left up to the taste. I was really blown away by it all. Surprisingly, one of the best ones in my opinion was the white forest roll, even though it sounded like the weirdest one. The pico de gallo and sour cream actually gave it a Mexican feel, and it went surprisingly well with the sushi. My other favorite was the dancing vampire roll. The salmon and tuna marinated with the chili sauce on top were blissful and packed with so much flavor. They were incredibly fresh, and melted in my mouth with each taste. All of the sushi was impeccable. It was some of the best sushi I have had in quite some time, and definitely the best I have had yet in Philly.



Four pints for Fat Salmon. The food was absolutely amazing, and if it hadn’t been for the horrible attitude of the hostess and the wait after our reservation time, it might have been a five pint rating for Fat Salmon. I cannot wait to go back, because the sushi was simply that good. Run, don’t walk to try it as soon as you can! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers