Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pricey Burger Lunch...



Zinburger
923 Haddonfield Road
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

Right near our usual sushi spot, a brand new burger and wine bar opened up. I headed over with a couple of guys from work one day for lunch because we wanted to check it out. When we walked into Zinburger, I immediately noticed how modern it looked. I also noticed how packed it was, even for the lunch rush. Luckily, we were seated right away even though it was packed. The place was really new, so our waitress was training someone, which usually I have no problem with, but this trainer was one of the worst I have ever seen. She disappeared for about 10 minutes after we were seated without taking any kind of order. When she came back, we finally did get to order, but I was already ticked off. We only get an hour for lunch, so waiting 10 minutes after we are seated takes 10 minutes we don’t have out of our lunch. It was still Lent when we went, so I didn’t order cheese on my burger, but I ordered the el Diablo and we all decided to split an order of fries. 



The El Diablo came topped with jalapenos, no cheese for me, but usually topped with pepper jack, caramelized onions and chipotle mayo. By the time we got our food, which should not have taken so long, we only had about 15 minutes left until we had to be back in the office. When they brought out our food, we ordered shakes to go because we knew it would be a long time before we saw them again. We were all ravenous by this point, so we dug in immediately. The flavor of the burger was really nice. It was cooked to the right temperature, and the flavor in the toppings was amazing. The jalapenos were firey as expected, and the caramelized onion brought a nice element of sweetness to the burger. The chipotle mayo wasn’t very prominent, but it did add a bit of creaminess to the burger. My only issue with the burger really was the bun. It was too soft to hold up to the juiciness of the burger and its condiments. It started out ok, but it got soggier and soggier as the meal went on. 



The fries were a little different, but were very tasty in their own right.  They were thin cut like frites, and extremely crispy. If anything they might have even been a little bit too crunchy. They were very thin, so I think cooking them just a touch less would have been perfect. 



We took our shakes to go because of the time constraints. Mine turned out to be delicious. It was a standard cookies and cream shake, but it was done very well. It wasn’t too thick, so I could get it up the straw, and the cookies were broken down enough so that they didn’t get stuck in the straw either. The shake was probably the best part.

Zinburger gets two pints from me. The service was pretty terrible, but I would like to go back and see it now that they have had some time to work out the kinks. The burger was good, with the exception of the bun, the fries were good and the shake was really good. The price however was horrific for lunch. This isn’t Philadelphia; you can’t get away with charging 10 plus dollars for a burger, then charging 5 bucks for fries, and 6 bucks for a shake. They need to figure out a way to make their lunches more affordable. It is definitely worth a visit for the food alone, but I think dinner might be a better choice than lunch. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers