Monday, March 3, 2014

This Food was Singing...



El Mariachi Loco
17 12th Street
Hammonton, NJ 08037

For my buddy and I, the thought of dining out in the delicious Mexican food scene in Hammonton, NJ was almost becoming an obsession. This time around we went to a sit down restaurant called El Mariachi Loco right in the heart of downtown Hammonton. It was very plain on the inside, almost looked like a cafeteria, but the smells emanating from the kitchen were dreamy. We sat down and looked at the menu, and were ready to order almost immediately. Before we got to order though, they brought us out a basket of chips and three different cups, each with its own delicious concoction.  One had a creamy refried bean dip, another a smoky and spicy chipotle salsa, and the final one a supremely spicy salsa verde. The chips were clearly made fresh just before they were brought out. The dips were outstanding. I continued to eat them all throughout the entire meal. The flavors were deep and rich and the spice level was incredible. We both loved this touch. 



I tried to order a tamarind jarritos, but they were out of them, so I decided to try the lime one. I also ordered a taco de chorizo, a taco de carnitas, and a sope de carnitas. I wanted to compare the sope that I had at Tacos y Tortas to this one and see if it was up to par. We talked for a while and enjoyed our sodas, chips, and salsas. We actually had to have another basket of chips brought out because we demolished the first basket. The tacos and sopes came up quickly, so we dug into them as well. When you order your tacos there, they ask if you want them the traditional way or the American way. The traditional way is cilantro, onion and lime wedges, while the American has tomatoes and cheese in addition to the other ingredients. 




My tacos were fantastic. I would love to eat some street tacos in Mexico to see how authentic these are, but I can say that’s what they made me think of; walking through a busy street in Mexico with a taco in my hand. The corn tortillas were fresh, definitely made in house; the meats were seasoned to perfection and perfectly balanced by the cilantro, onion and lime juice. I especially loved the carnitas because of the texture that they provided. These were the best carnitas I have ever had. While others I have had were very flavorful, these had texture that was unmatched anywhere else. It was just crunchy enough on the outside to give it the perfect amount of crunch yet still juicy on the inside. Everyone knows how much I like chorizo, so it should be no surprise that I loved the chorizo taco as well. Unfortunately, the sope was not nearly as good here as it was at the other food truck. It was much smaller, and the texture was a bit different. It was overly crunchy, I think because of the size of it, but it was not fluffy on the inside like the other was. I preferred the tacos.



Three solid pints for El Mariachi Loco. Excellent tacos for a really good price is the draw here, and it would be foolish not to check it out. I have been back once since and it was just as good the second time. Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers