Thursday, March 13, 2014

Raw Problems...



Raw
1225 Sansom Street 
Philadelphia, PA 19107

On the final Friday evening of our Lenten meals last spring, I had made a reservation for my girlfriend and I to head over to a sushi place called Raw on 12th and Sansom. I was hoping that it was going to be a really tasty send off, especially because of how much I love sushi, so we headed over to Midtown and were seated immediately. As we were looking over the menu, we realized that the selection of sushi wasn’t that great, and the ones that really caught our eyes were extremely expensive. We did decide to order some of them, because they were the ones we were interested in, but we decided to start with the shrimp and lobster spring rolls, followed by the shrimp and cucumber roll, the green river roll, and the special roll of the evening which I believe was called the green tea roll. 



Our waitress was pretty nonexistent all night. Actually I think we only saw her the one time when she took our order. Our food was brought out by someone else and our check was taken by someone else too. That never really adds to the experience very well, but I digress. The shrimp and lobster spring rolls were up first, and they didn’t do anything to help the cause. The spring rolls were extremely greasy and I really didn’t like the way the shrimp shell was left hanging out of it. It was almost like they wrapped the shrimp in a wonton wrapper and dropped it in the fryer instead of making an actual spring roll. We were both less than impressed with it.



We had much higher hopes for the sushi rolls that we had ordered. The shrimp and cucumber roll was pretty standard. Nothing bad about it, but definitely nothing to write home about either. The green tea roll was stuffed with fish and topped with pepper tuna and a salad of microgreens. Again it was ok, but nothing spectacular. It was kind of dry actually. It definitely could have used more sauce. The green river was the only one I actually cared for, but it was 21 dollars. Get out of here with those prices. I have never had a sushi roll anywhere good enough to warrant a price like that. The green river roll was spicy tuna and shrimp tempura, covered in green tea tempura flakes, topped with avocado and spicy lobster, garnished with green tea sauce and a spicy sauce. 



One and a half pints for Raw. We were pretty disappointed with our meal at Raw, not entirely because of the taste of the food, but also because of the service and the pricing. It’s not worth a try in my opinion but you can always try it and let me know how it was for you. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers