Thursday, April 3, 2014

Chicken and Donuts...Say What???



Federal Donuts
Multiple Locations

My girlfriend and I have been to Federal donuts many times since it opened. We went to the original location when it first opened in South Philly, and then once the center city location opened we visited there also. We had picked up donuts for people mostly, but this time I went alone after a long walk through the city and stopped in because I wanted to try the fried chicken too. Yes this is a donut shop as well as a fried chicken shop. I know it sounds weird, but that’s part of the charm and the genius of it. They make donuts all morning until they run out, and then they make chicken until they run out and then they close. Its been getting all kinds of buzz and for good reason as the donuts are amazing. Inventive and delicious flavors are what they key in on.



This time around as I said I was looking to try the fried chicken, so I ordered the half order of chili garlic chicken which comes with a drumstick, a breast and thigh. They call it Korean style fried chicken because of the method in which they cook it. They dip it in a cornstarch based batter before they fry it once to cook it all the way through. Then they cook it to order after it has rested and then they coat it with glaze or season it with a dry seasoning as soon as it comes out of the fryer. I noticed a new donut I hadn’t tried when I went to pay so I decided to try it as well; the cookies and cream donut.

The chicken was ready in mere minutes and was piping hot when it got to me. I had to wait a while to be able to hold it. Once it had cooled a bit, I bit into the crunchiness and was loving it. It was super crunchy as advertised, and the chili garlic glaze was both tangy and spicy. It was a really tasty combination for the chicken, but the amount of chicken you get is crazy! I could only eat the leg and thigh and saved the breast for later. 



The donut was heavenly. I love cookies and cream anything, and to have it on a donut was just insane. It tasted like I was eating cookies and cream ice cream, but in the form of a delicious donut. Its just another stellar flavor that they offer up, but it definitely moved into my favorites amongst the lemon poppy seed donut, French toast donut and strawberry rhubarb donut. These flavors change all the time, so you may not be able to get them, but if they are on the menu, do yourself a favor and order one of them because you will love it!

Three and a half pints for the crews over at FedNuts. Federal Donuts is a really unique concept. Its amazing that it came from the same person who thought up Percy Street BBQ and Zahav. Michael Solomonov is a genius and he is a big reason why I love the Philly food scene so much and want to become a part of it. We are blessed in this area by amazing chefs with original ideas and flawless execution, and Federal Donuts is definitely a part of that mix. Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers