Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Funky Flavor...



Twisted Tail
509 South Second Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

I had asked for a gift certificate to the Twisted Tail for Christmas this past year, once I had become more familiar with the area down the road from where my girlfriend had moved. We decided to head up there one evening to check it out. They always seem to have some form of live music going on, which I always love about places, so we were pretty excited to head over there.



When we got there, we were seated right next to the guy that was performing. It was a pretty cool feeling to be so close to him as we were enjoying our meal and his music. The bar menu is pretty fantastic, with lots of drinks and lots of moonshine! It definitely gave me a feeling reminiscent of being back in the South. My girlfriend ordered up the drink special that they were offering for the night a one bourbon, one scotch and one beer special for 10 bucks. I also ordered up a 10 dollar option, a cocktail flight containing an apple pie cocktail, a basil lemonade and one other moonshine based cocktail. Everything was delicious and the moonshine really brought me back to my years spent at Elon in North Carolina. 




We decided to order two items from the charcoal grill section, the Berkshire pork belly and the beef hearts, as well as the crawfish mac and cheese and the fried chicken in a bag. The grilled items came out together and were an amazing start to the meal. I had never had beef hearts before, and was surpised as to how tender they were. The heart is such a strong muscle, I assumed it would be a little tough, but it was not at all. It was very flavorful, not gamey at all and had a very nice char to it. The pork belly was pretty amazing as well. It was charred perfectly,  and the fresh herbs really brought out the natural flavor of the pork. The small bit of lime juice it was dressed with seemed weird to me at first, but I couldn’t stop myself from eating more and more of it. It was addicting as can be.



The crawfish mac and cheese came out with the chicken which was perfect. I love when they make mac and cheese with larger noodles, and these in particular were large spirals. They mac and cheese was topped with breadcrumbs, a touch of genius in my opinion as it adds a textural difference. My only complaint would be that the crawfish weren’t overly abundant in the dish. I wish that there were more of them. The fried chicken was some of the best I have had in a while. Even my girlfriend, whom you all know has major chicken issues, raved about it. It was playfully plated in a brown paper bag, reminiscent of the way fried chicken is prepared in the South in shakable brown bags. It had wonderfully crispy, seasoned skin and the bird itself was very tender and moist. The rosemary honey glaze was the perfect accompaniment for the chicken and I can never resist some good okra and sweet potato fries, so they really nailed it for me.



Not to be outdone, we had to order up some dessert, and as soon as I heard that they had ricotta beignets on the menu, our decision was made. They were crazy soft inside, and were coated perfectly in a whirl of cinnamon sugar. The toffee sauce that they were served with was highly addictive. Ever since first having toffee at Dandelion, I have been obsessed, and Twisted Tail didn’t do anything to make feel any differently. The creamy beignets dipped in that succulently sweet and warm toffee sauce was pure bliss.



Three and  half pints for Twisted Tail. The atmosphere is great in there and paired with the live music and cocktail selections really make for a great time. I was completely surprised by the food, but in a good way. It really made me nostalgic for the South and it will definitely be a place I find myself visiting more and more often once I move into the city. Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers