Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Traditional Puerto Rican Fare...



Platos
2 Rosa Street
Carolina, PR 00979

One of my favorite things about Puerto Rican food is the mofongo. I discovered it the last time I was there, and I had been craving it ever since. I heard from some people that the best in the area was at a place called Platos, right down the street from the hotel. Actually my cousin and his wife had been there the week before, and they recommended one of their dishes to us. My girlfriend, her mom and I walked down there one day for lunch. 



It had a very authentic feel to it from the moment that we walked in. All of their waiters and waitresses were bilingual and the decorations were very Puerto Rican. After perusing the menu for a mere moment, I decided on the mofongo de churrasco con salsa criolla, and we ordered the queso frito con salsa de guayava y coco. 



The fried cheese bites came out first, and they were just as good as my cousin and his wife had described them. Whatever cheese was used was better than any fried cheese I have had anywhere else. It was creamy and it stayed together nicely with the batter around it. The star of the show however was the guava and coconut dipping sauce. Simply heaven in a dish. I love guava, but am not a huge fan of coconut, but if they always taste like that when combined,I would eat them over and over again. You could dip anything in that sauce and it would taste great. We actually asked them to leave it on the table when they took the plate away because it was so good.



The mofongo came out soon thereafter, and it was a monster! It was a huge dish of plantains and stuffed inside was a large amount of seared skirt steak, tossed in a delicious creole sauce. The plantains are rich and hearty like potatoes, but they still have a touch of sweetness to them. Mixing a bite of plantain, steak and sauce all together was a match made in heaven. It was so comforting and so delicious, but it really was a mountain of food. I probably shouldn’t have eaten it all, but before I realized it, the entire plate was empty. What a dish!
 
Three pints for Platos. The fried cheese dish and the mofongo are knock outs. I would order them a million times over, and you should definitely check them out as well if you are in the area of Carolina in Puerto Rico. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers