Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Street Food...Boricuan Style!



Sorry for the hiatus. I will be back in full force this week with three new posts.

Street food - Bacalaitos y alcapurrias

While we were in San Juan, we had heard about a local street food called alcapurrias. They are crab or picadillo stuffed fritters made out of corn, yucca or other root vegetables and then fried to golden perfection. I had never tasted them, so my girlfriend wanted to take me to a road where a bunch of places serve traditional Puerto Rican snacks like alcapurrias, fritters stuffed with crab or other meat, and bacalaitos, or salt cod fritters. We headed up there one day for an afternoon snack, parked the car and began searching out a place to chow down.



We picked one of the ones that looked the most intriguing, ordered one of each, and sat down. Both were very tasty, but definitely very heavy. That is my one complaint about Puerto Rican food, it can be very rough on the stomach because a lot of it is fried. But these were very tasty. The crispy texture on the outside of the fritters was delicious, and the alcapurrias' filling was particularly tasty. It was rich and creamy, and definitely enhanced by the salty nature of its crab filling.

They are definitely flavorful snacks and they definitely give you a true feeling of Puerto Rican flavors. I know that I could not make them a regular part of my diet, but they are definitely worth a try if you are in a neighborhood that offers up traditional Puerto Rican fare. Give them a try and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers