Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Classic in Nashvegas...



F. Scott's
2210 Crestmoor Road
Nashville, TN 37215

It was pretty difficult to find a place to eat in Nashville that would accommodate such a large party. Nashville has an amazing food scene, and there were tons of places that we were interested in dining at, but unfortunately we didn’t try to book anything far enough in advance, so we found it very difficult to get a reservation for all of us. Luckily enough, we got a reservation at a Nashville institution called F. Scott's. It had an old school classic feel to it. It was a restaurant, but it was also a jazz bar, so it really felt like a true music city restaurant. 



Once we were seated and the waiter came around to take our beverage orders, we looked over the menu for a while. It was pretty traditionalist in terms of southern cuisine, but with a little bit of an upscale flair to it. We ordered a special flatbread that they were serving for the evening for the table, and then I decided on the cornmeal crusted catfish with creamed spinach grits for my entrée. Looking at the menu made me nostalgic for my time spent in North Carolina, so I knew I had to order something very southern.



The flatbread came up as soon as we had our drinks, which was a very good thing since we were all starving. I can't remember the specifics of what were on it, but I do remember that it really hit the spot. 



When the catfish came out, I knew I was in for a treat. It is hard to find good fried catfish above the Mason Dixon Line, so I took advantage of being below it and ordered it here. The crust on the fish was fantastic. It was extremely crispy and the fish was cooked absolutely perfectly. It was the largest piece of catfish I have ever seen, definitely a meal in and of itself. The creamed spinach grits were an interesting concept to me. I had had each separately on numerous occasions, but this was the first time ever I had them combined as one. It actually worked really well because of the creaminess that the spinach brought into the dish made the grits that much better. I am not usually a huge grits guy unless it is for shrimp and grits or something of that nature, but these were a perfect pairing for the catfish.



For dessert I left the decision up to my fiancé, and she decided on a type of napoleon they were serving as a special dessert for the evening. It had thin chocolate cookies layered with hazelnut crème and this caramelized sheet of sugar on top. It was absolutely delicious dessert. The cookies were sweet, but not too sweet, and the hazelnut crème was really tasty. I was super intrigued when it came to the caramelized sugar sheet, and it wound up being pretty fantastic as well. The portion size was just enough for the two of us, and we were left completely satisfied by it.



Three solid pints for F. Scotts. As I mentioned before it has been around for ages and it really has a great reputation in the Nashville area. It really is worth a visit if you are ever in the area, and don’t miss out on the catfish if you get the chance to try it out! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers