Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Greek Tragedy This Was Not...



Athens Family Restaurant
2526 Franklin Pike
Nashville, TN 37204

My fiancé and I traveled to Nashville a short two weeks after our engagement celebrations to watch her sister graduate from Vanderbilt University. We were very excited to see her do that as well as spend time with her family since we hadn’t gotten the opportunity to celebrate with them yet. On the first night that we arrived, we picked a place that had been on Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dives to eat at for dinner called Athens Family Restaurant. 



I love Greek cuisine, so getting to have some at an affordable price was a win for me. We were a big group, so it was hard to make reservations for us all, and we were lucky enough that they had enough room to seat us all together. I was torn when looking over the menu, but I definitely knew that I wanted to order something with lamb in it. I remembered the few dishes that were cooked on the show, but I actually went in a different direction and ordered the lamb dish of the day known as lamb pie. The table had also ordered the sample platter, a combination of hummus, tzatziki, melitzanosalata, sliced fresh tomatoes, and feta cheese served with pita bread. 



When the sampler platter came out, we all were eager to dig in because we were so very hungry. All three of the dips were very tasty. Hummus and pita is one of my favorite things, and now I can add tzatziki and melitzanosalata to the list! The melitzanosalata is a Greek eggplant dip and it is fantastic. Pureed eggplants and spices combine to make a heavenly dip. 



When the lamb pie came out I knew I had made the right choice. I really wish I had lamb more often because it is so incredibly flavorful. I had never even had it until my trip to India a few years back and now I am obsessed with it. This lamb was seasoned so impeccably and the phyllo crust it was encased in was buttery and flaky, adding the perfect bits of texture and richness to the already flavorful lamb. Part of the reason I love Greek food so much is because of the abundance of bold flavors it offers. This lamb showcased it incredibly well, and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.




Three pints for Athens Family Restaurant. The affordable prices and the quality of the food that you get are pretty amazing. It was one of those places on Diners that you could really tell Guy was in love with the food at, and I can honestly say I feel the same way after having eaten there.  It is definitely worth a visit, so check it out if you ever head to Nashville! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers