Monday, August 4, 2014

Cuban Missfire...



Alma de Cuba
1623 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

My fiancé and I had been looking forward to trying Alma de Cuba for quite some time. We love Latin food, especially Cuban food because of the amount of time she has spent in Miami. The décor and atmosphere were definitely eye catching as soon as we walked inside. It was a little fancier inside than I thought it was going to be, but it still had a very chic and modern feel to it, which vibes with the whole concept of modern Cuban cuisine. I knew what I was looking for dinner before I ever walked in the door, so making a decision in terms of food did not take long. I ordered lechon asado, she ordered a churrasco steak, we ordered some plantains and some mojitos and we sat back with great anticipation of what was to come. 




They brought us out some pan de yucca to start when our mojitos came out. I liked the flavor of it, but I really didn’t like whatever coating was on the outside of it. I don’t know what it was, but it was similar to semolina that you would find on pasta. If it had just been the bread, it would have been perfect, but unfortunately it wasn’t. The mojito on the other hand was spot on. It was probably the best one I have had outside of the Caribbean and definitely tops in Philly. The sugar to mint mixture was perfect and not overpowering at all. The rum was at the forefront as it should be in any mojito. 




I was pretty excited to have some ceviche for the first time in quite a while. I was so excited about it that I decided we should order a sampler platter of ceviche. We got a choice of three out of the seven different types that they offered. We had the thai mixto that came with crab, shrimp, octopus and fluke floating in a bath of leche de tigre and diced mango, Ecuadorian shrimp that came with fire roasted tomatoes orange juice, avocado and corn nuts and the lenguado al fuego that came with habanero, kumquat, sweet potato puree and smoked sea salt. Nothing can compare to the freshness of a ceviche. Each of them was perfectly acidic and the fish was tender and delicious.



I was really excited about our main courses because it had been so long since we had Cuban food. When they came out, I knew we were in for a treat. My lechon could not have been any better.  The skin was fried so perfectly that it made noise when I hit it with my fork. The layer of fat between the skin and the pork had kept the pork incredible juicy and full of flavor. To make it even better, the pork was served over a bed of rice and beans. Scooping up some rice and beans with each bite of pork was a delicious touch of Latin flavor. My fiance's vaca frita steak was excellent as well. It had a perfectly crispy exterior and topped with some deliciously pickled onions. The black beans and rice it was served over were just as good with the steak as they were with the lechon. 




As good as our main courses were, the side and the dessert was equally disappointing. The plantains were undercooked and definitely didn’t have much flavor. They were a little bit too Americanized for me. I like my plantains very traditional. They were pretty bland and definitely disappointing. The peanut butter bombe wasn’t very good either. It was ok, but the flavor wasn’t great and It just didn’t go with the rest of the meal. Maybe it was my fault for ordering that particular dessert, but the selection wasnt very good.



Two and half pints for Alma de Cuba. Unfortunately the inconsistencies prevented this from being a really great place in my opinion. The prices are really steep as well, which I am definitely not used to when it comes to Cuban food. However, the trip is worth it once for the ceviche and lechon. Its pricey, so be prepared! Let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers