Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Service Blunders All Around...



The Palm
200 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

My fiancé and I went out with one of her coworkers and her boyfriend for the final night of the second week of restaurant week to the Palm for a night out. We picked the Palm because they had a nice set of options to choose from and I felt like we could really get a good deal there. The place is pretty pricey otherwise, but for $35 dollars for three courses, you couldn’t really argue with it. 



The service didn’t start out very good. It took us a while to be talked to once we were seated. We did eventually get a fairly rough waiter to come over and take our drink order while we looked over the rest of the menu. When they came back with our drinks, the badly mannered waiter continued his roughness while taking our orders. I wasn’t looking forward to continuing the meal with him as our server, but we sipped some drinks and powered through. 



First up for my fiancé and I were the golden beets carpaccio and the oysters for me. The golden beets were presented beautifully and they matched up really well with the goat cheese they were served with. They were really rich in color, but they had the same earthy taste as regular red beets. The oysters I had were pretty good, but nothing amazing. They were very small, but the horseradish sauce dolloped on top was a nice bit of bite and the lemon squeezed over top was the perfect finishing touch. 




The whole point of heading to the Palm was to get to try a place that doesn’t usually fit into our weekly budget because the meal was much cheaper than it would have been usually. For the price of one of the steaks usually, you could get the entire three course meal. I had to try the steak, so I ordered the filet mignon and my fiancé ordered the scallops. The steak and scallops both had a really nice sear on them. They were both served with great sauces as well. I really wish the steak had come with something, but it was really perfect other than that. The temperature was great, it was seasoned properly, and it was very flavorful. 



Dessert was just as good as the rest of the meal. My fiancé and I again ordered two different things, for me the Tiramisu and for her the banana cream pie. I was a little apprehensive ordering the tiramisu in a non-italian restaurant, but I didn’t need to be, because it was delicious. It wasn’t particularly boozy which I appreciated because I prefer my Tiramisu not to be. It was very creamy and delicious and it had a fantastic coffee flavor. The banana cream pie wasn't so much like any banana cream pie I had, but maybe that was a good thing. It was really delicious. The caramelized bananas on top really nailed the banana flavor, and the crust was fantastic. I just wish the crust was a bit thicker. There wasn’t enough to go with each bit of filling. 



Two and a half pints for the Palm. If it wasn’t for the service, it would have been a much better rating. It really ruined the experience for me, which was a shame because the food was really at a high level. I know you get what you pay for, but that’s why I am glad it was restaurant week because the experience wasn’t great. The food is worth going back for, the service was not. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers