Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Taste of Home For the Lady...



Cheu Noodle Bar
255 South 10th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107

Cheu had a ton of hype around it since it opened, and after dining there I have to say its for good reason. The space is incredibly unique, as is the fare coming out of its kitchen. The staff is super friendly and laid back. The first time I dined there, I went in alone on a Saturday and sat at the counter. I ordered one of the beer specials that had that day, a Sixpoint Global Warmer. It turned out to be a really nice beer for a very affordable price. It went well with pork belly bun I ordered. The pork belly bun had amazing taste and textures. The bun was crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside, the pork belly was soft and packed with Asian flavors, and the pickled vegetables added a nice bit of acid.




Not to be outdone, the brisket noodles that I ordered were surprisingly delicious. Not that I expected them not be, but more so the fact that the brisket and matzo ball worked so well with the kimchi and the spicy Asian broth. And it was a better matzo ball than I have had at Jewish delis in the past. It was so light and fluffy. 




Dude, wow. Took my fiance here on a Saturday night for my second visit because she was feeling pretty down and wanted a taste of home. She grew up in Asia, so I knew Cheu would be just what the doctor ordered. The wait can be a little daunting, but they take your name and call you when your table is ready, so you can go get a drink at bars nearby, and they even recommend some for you!




We sat at the counter and ordered the dumpling special of beef & ginger to start, followed by hand torn noodles with lamb neck and the miso ramen noodles with pork shoulder.

The dumplings were small, but tasty little bite sized bits of joy. They were doused in chili oil, but not so much so that it overwhelmed the dumplings, and the ginger flavor really packed a punch.

The hand torn noodles were amazing. I liken them to a version of Asian papardelle. The sauce was slightly sweet, so I spiced it up with some sriracha. The lamb neck pieces were mondo tender and super flavorful. The best part may have been the pickled mustard greens. They were super crunchy and had quite a kick from the vinegar that really cut through the richness of the noodles and sauce. I added a soft cooked egg to mine, and the runny yolk meshed well with the noodles as well.



The miso ramen may even have been better than the hand torn noodles. The broth was very tasty. The depth of flavor was insane. It hit on all levels, and definitely provided that umami euphoria. The pork shoulder was very flavorful and tender as well, and an egg always finishes off the noodle bowl nicely.



4 pints for Cheu Noodle Bar. I really enjoy watching the chefs work here and I love the atmosphere. Cheu does its own thing, and I love them for that. The restaurant really is a treat and well worth the wait. They have awesome food to warm you up during the cold. The place is so cool, I can't wait to come back for more! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers