Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Something so Familiar...



Raddicchio Café
402 Wood Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

My fiancé and I invited my aunt and uncle in to the city to see the church and venue we are going to get married at. After seeing both places, we drove over to a little BYOB we wanted to try. We know the owner, and frequent his restaurant in New Jersey, but we had never ventured to his little BYOB in the city called Radicchio Café. We were seated right away, although extremely close to the door, which is never exactly fun. However, from the moment we were seated, we had a familiar feeling that we were used to at his restaurant in Jersey. We were welcomed with open arms and made to feel right at home. We had our wine opened, and we looked over the menu with gusto.




The gentleman that took care of us had a very thick Italian accent, which made us feel right at home as most of the servers and workers in his other restaurant are all Italian as well. The service was great. We ordered the grilled octopus and sausage with broccoli rabe to share for the table and then we each ordered our entrees. The grilled octopus is some of the best I have had anywhere. Ive had it numerous times at La Locanda in Jersey, and it was just as good here and prepared the same way. Crispy, tender and delicious with a simple seasoning of olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. The sausage and broccoli rabe is one of my favorite things on his menus. The rabe is spicy and incredibly flavorful and pairs with the rustic flavors of the sausage so well. 




My main course was a little something different for me. It was gnocchi with thin slices of beef and a deliciously rich sauce. The gnocchi was light, but still had some density and texture to it. The beef was very tender and it had a nice sear to it. All in all it was a well balanced and tasty dish. For dessert, we went with the pumpkin and hazelnut cheesecakes. The pumpkin cheesecake is one of my favorite cheesecakes anywhere. It’s a ricotta based cheesecake with just enough pumpkin flavor to keep you coming back for more. I was pleasantly surprised that the hazelnut cheesecake was just as good as the pumpkin. It tasted like a nutella cheesecake because of the hazelnuts, and come on, who doesn’t love nutella. 



Three pints for Radicchio Café. I have been to the owner's place in Jersey, and while I think that Luigi's restaurant there is better than Radicchio, the food at both locations is fantastic. You always get great service and a really good value for money. The food is authentic and very well prepared. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers