Thursday, February 5, 2015

Fishy no More...



Route 6
600 North Broad Street 
Philadelphia, PA 19130

My fiance and I headed to Route 6 on a Friday evening since it was Lent and we needed a place that had some fish or vegetarian options. We had noticed Route 6 a few times on our ventures up North Broad before, but had never stopped in to dine there. 



The place was jam packed when we got there. The bar was especially full, which I am assuming was because of happy hour. The entire restaurant was full too, which I usually take as a positive sign. We were seated a bit after our reservation time, but we got a great table for four even though there were only two of us and settled in. The place is enormous! I couldnt believe how big it was. I guess that is part of the draw of putting a restaurant up in that area instead of downtown. 



We decided pretty quickly what we wanted, some beers of course, and then the crab bombs, the lobster roll, and the shrimp scampi. The oyster crackers were a  bit different than I have had at other  places, but they were awesome. They had more crunch factor to them than the chewiness that other oyster crackers do, but it was a welcome change. I just wish they didnt skimp on the horseradish. I would have eaten a ton more of it if they hadnt. 



Overall we thought the food was a really solid effort. The crab bombs were very crispy and full of crab filling. They were enhanced by the delicious cocktail sauce they were served with. The lobster roll while it tasted good, was very small for the price, so I was pretty disappointed with it. The fries it was served with were great, perfectly crunchy and seasoned nicely. The best part was honestly the shrimp scampi. I wasnt really into the idea of ordering it, but my fiance wanted it, so we did. The shrimp were huge, but still very tender. The sauce was packed with flavor. It was buttery and rich and garlicky. I wish I had a whole loaf of bread to sop it up with. We ordered sunchokes and asparagus with the shrimp scampi, both delightful sides to accompany the shrimp.







Our dessert course was the banana cake with hazelnut ice cream. There really was nothing too exciting with this dessert though. It was ok, but the cake was dry and there wasnt a ton of banana flavor to it. I loved the caramelized bananas served with it though. They provided awesome bits of texture and flavor. Our waiter forgot to bring me my espresso, and then promptly removed it from the bill when I pointed that out, but he brought me one over anyway. Classy move sir!







Three pints for Route 6. All in all, it was a really good place to grab some seafood, although I found it a bit pricey. Maybe that had something to do with its closing recently. Unfortunately, you wont be able to try this one for yourself. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers