Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Dud or a Star???



Ocean Prime
124 South 15th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

After reading the review Ocean Prime received from the food critic of the Philadelphia Inquirer, I went into our meal there with very low expectations. I usually take some of what he says with a grain of salt, but he had torn them apart so badly, it almost made me want to try it to see if it really was that bad. Luckily I got a gift card for dinner there for Christmas, so I took my fiance out there one night without having to actually shell out much money, so if it didnt go well, I wouldnt have been too upset with it.



Other than the service which I thought definitely needed some work, our meal was excellent. While we did not test the waters of dessert, we did have a delicious appetizer and entrees. The prices are steep dont get me wrong, but its a high end chain steak and fish house, so if you go in expecting not to drop some serious dough, you are expecting too much. Do I think the prices of the fish entrees are fair? Not really, but they werent so high that I would never come back.



We wound up starting with a beer and a lychee martini as well as the tuna tartar. It was not what I have come to know as a traditional tuna tartar, but it was delicious nonetheless. It was layered with avocado and drenched in a salty and tangy ginger, ponzu sauce. The tuna was incredibly tender and paired surprisingly well with the creamy avocado.



My entree, a filet of blackened snapper served over a bed of vegetables and a corn tartar, left my nostrils running quite a bit. But the sting of that spice enhanced the flavor of that delicately flaky white fish so well, I devoured each and every bite. I was less impressed with the corn tartar, the texture was very mushy and the sauce just made it more soggy. I could have done with just the fish and the veggies to be honest. 



My fiance ordered the teriyaki salmon with shittake sticky rice and soy butter sauce. The fish and the rice were outstanding. The glaze was sticky and sweet on the exterior of the charred fish and the rice had amazing texture. However again I thought the plate was oversauced and I really didnt think it needed the sauce at all. 



Ocean Prime is worthy of three pints. Overall it was a really nice meal and a fancy, schmancy place. You will definitely drop some coin, but although the service is a bit spotty and the fish entrees are oversauced, there is still some good food to be had. Check it out and see for yourself. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers