Monday, March 9, 2015

Memphis in Philly...



Memphis Taproom
2331 East Cumberland Street
Philadelphia, PA 19125

My fiance's cousin was visiting from Miami, so we met her and her boyfriend in his neighborhood on a Sunday morning. I had seen the place on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives a while ago, but had never made it out to Kensington to try it. This was the perfect opportunity to venture up there. We started with a little hair of the dog, a few bloody marys, because I am on a mission to find the best in the city. While this one was very good, it didn't quite take home the top honors. It was however a very good effort. For me, a touch more celery salt and horseradish would have brought it up to another level.



I loved the neighborhood bar feel of the place and the beer selection was amazing. I was also really impressed with their vegan options. However, I wasnt very impressed with the execution of some of the food we ordered. I ordered the tailgate chilaquiles. I have had chilaquiles before, but these were less than stellar. The chips had lost some of their crunch, leaving them a bit soggy. I definitely felt like it needed some kind of sauce to pull it all together too. Maybe salsa or a queso sauce would work well with it.  I was extremely disappointed in the bacon and sausage. The bacon was undercooked leaving it limp and chewy and the sausage had no char on it at all as if it wasnt cooked enough either. The eggs and cheese were really great though.



My fiance had the Eggs Bednarik and hers was just ok as well. Again the meat wasnt cooked properly, and the hollandaise wasnt special by any means. The hollaindaise was actually pretty runny, not nearly as thick as I prefer it. The eggs were cooked perfectly and the english muffin was tasty thought. One of the other things we were really impressed with was the peanut butter and banana french toast. The stuffed french toast was sublime. The bread was fantastic and the combination of peanut butter and banana made for heavenly bites. I was so glad we all shared it, but after tasting it, I wish i had ordered it for my breakfast!



Two and a half pints for Memphis Taproom. I really was not as impressed with this place as I thought I would be. I want to go back to Memphis Taproom to give it another shot. I have heard the coconut club sandwich is outstanding, and I think they may fare a bit better with lunch or dinner selections. Definitely check it out and let me know what you think, even if its only for the beers or the garden out back that opens up for the spring and summer! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers