Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Winter Restaurant Week #1...Steak!


Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
1426 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

I made the decision last time restaurant week came around that I wanted to start trying a steakhouse that I probably wouldn’t be able to afford otherwise during one of the two weeks that it is offered in the winter and the fall. This time around my girlfriend and I decided to try Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House for the first week of restaurant week. It was a place that I had heard a lot about from my friend’s parents, so I was really looking forward to a really nice evening.



We arrived quite a bit early and we were planning on going to the bar just to have a few drinks, but they were very accommodating and sat us early. They took our coats and then walked us through the restaurant and up the stairs in the back so that we could be seated upstairs on the second floor. The restaurant is decorated tremendously well, and I enjoyed the entire look of the place. The music was a little odd and didn’t seem to match the vibe that they were going for. We then decided on our meal from the restaurant week menu; the baby greens salad with julienned apple and citrus vinaigrette, the chicken noodle soup, the 8 oz filet with château potatoes, the filet medallions with peppercorn sauce and château potatoes, a side of tricolor cauliflower with truffle oil, the chocolate mousse, and the bread pudding with Jack Daniel’s sauce.




The salad was a really nice start to the meal. The combination of the apple and the citrus vinaigrette were a really nice and clean start to the meal. The candied walnuts added another element of texture that rounded out the feel of the salad perfectly. However, we were a little perplexed by the choice to serve chicken noodle soup at a steakhouse. It didn’t seem to jive with the menu at all. It was good, but how can you really mess up chicken noodle soup? You can’t really do much to make it special either, so to us it was just a mistake on their part. 




That being said, they more than made up for it when the entrees came out. The steaks were incredibly delicious! Mine had a nice crust on the outside, was seasoned nicely, and was super, duper tender. The filet medallions my girlfriend ordered were super tender as well, and the peppercorn sauce that they were served with was a wonderful addition. Both of them were served with château potatoes, which I had never heard of. They were peppery, creamy, and some of the best potatoes I have ever had in my life. I had never had château potatoes before, but I know that I will be ordering them again if I get the chance. We split an order of tricolor cauliflower with truffle oil. You could really smell the fragrance of the truffle oil when it came out, and I enjoyed the cauliflower quite a bit. 



I was really surprised by the dessert course. I was only really looking forward to the bread pudding because I am not a huge fan of chocolate mousse and neither is my girlfriend, but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. It was by far the best chocolate mousse I have ever had, and I wish more places made it like that. It was thicker than usual, and the texture was absolutely mind blowing. The bread pudding was good, but they ruined it in my opinion when they put raisins in it. I like raisins, but I hate them when they are in desserts, kind of like how I like tomatoes, but hate them on sandwiches. I don’t know if it’s a texture thing or what, but the bread pudding would have been better without them.

Del Frisco's was a definite hit for us during restaurant week. I would love to go back and order off the regular menu, but I am not sure when that might be. The food was fantastic, and I think you all will really enjoy it. Give it a try! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers