Thursday, December 6, 2012

Blown Mind...Asian Style...



Sampan
124 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107

My girlfriend and I went out to eat with a couple that we had dined with previously a few months ago, and it was one of the best meals of my entire life. We have a great time whenever we go out to eat with them, and this time was no different. After getting a drink at the hipster bar scene they had going on, we were seated and started trying to decide what we were going to order. The drink that I ordered was a whiskey based drink with a yuzu mixture added to it. It wasn’t fantastic, but it wasn’t bad either. It was served in a mason jar, which I thought was pretty cool too.


From the moment you walk into Sampan, everything feels super modern. I feel like that is a common theme of the center city Asian restaurants that I have been to. We decided on ordering the 9 course tasting menu that they offer for $45 per person. It was really hard to pick things again because it was still Lent and we could only order fish and vegetable dishes. We decided on our choices and we sat back and let the feast begin.



First up was the lobster ceviche. It sounded a little funny to me when we ordered it because I had never heard of lobster in a ceviche before, but it was absolutely phenomenal. Hands down one of the top three ceviches I have ever had. It was citrusy, it was spicy, and most of all it was fresh and delicious. 



Next up was the tuna rice cracker. I love tuna, so I knew I would love this dish. The cracker was a really interesting texture, I’m assuming because of the rice. The tuna had so much flavor. It was mixed with a little touch of soy and sesame.



The edamame dumplings came out next and I was in heaven yet again. The dumplings themselves were tender, with a crispy crunch to the outside of the skin, and the edamame inside was tender and flavorful. The foam in the middle kind of threw me off and I don’t really know why chefs keep putting foams into their dishes. It is definitely one of the most overused and flavorless trends in the culinary world today and I wish they would just stop using it all together. 



It is not every day that you see tacos on an Asian menu. We ordered the crab wonton tacos, and we were certainly glad we did once we tasted them. They were ridiculously tasty! They had a nice kick of heat, a good bit of crunch from the wonton taco and a really nice taste from the cilantro and pickled shallots. 



The jumbo shrimp satay was up next; grilled prawns topped with arugula and pickled onions. They were really delicious. The shrimp were grilled perfectly, and still remained moist as well.



Our next course was yet another tasty morsel. We had sashimi tuna over a bed of chilled soba noodles that was topped with a watercress salad. The tuna was seared perfectly on all sides, and it left the tuna perfectly delicious. Each bite was tender and full of flavor, accented by the addition of a soy drizzle and the avocado.



I was so happy when someone else mentioned that we should order the kim chee fried rice. I knew I wanted it, but didn’t want to push it on to everyone else. I love kim chee and I really love fried rice, and I never would have imagined the delicious cyclone of flavor that they can come together into. The pungent flavor of the kim chee mixed with the salty nature of the rice was absolutely phenomenal.



The best part of the entire meal in my opinion was the sea bass. It was glazed in soy, and topped with an apple slaw and grapefruit. It was some of the best fish I have ever tasted. It was incredibly tender, and the soy sort of caramelized on the outside of the fish and became a little sweet. I could have eaten a ton of the sea bass and I would order it again and again if I go back to Sampan.  



The shrimp pad thai was also pretty darn good. The shrimp was super tender, and the noodles were as well. The pad thai had tons of flavor and we ate it all up.



I didn’t get to partake in the dessert round, but it looked amazing. They served miniature ice cream cones to the table, and the flavors change almost daily. I think on this particular night they had strawberry and chocolate.

When my girlfriend’s friend came back from the bathroom, she said she heard weird voices while she was in there, but she couldn’t understand what the guy was saying. I looked at her pretty skeptically, but I completely understood what was happening once I ventured to the men’s room. They have movie lines playing continuously out of the bathroom speakers. So while in the bathroom I heard lines from Full Metal Jacket, Forrest Gump, and A Few Good Men. I laughed hysterically while telling everyone what the voices were all about.

Please, please, please go to Sampan as soon as possible. It is ranked in the top 5 meals I have ever had in my life, and I have eaten some pretty tasty food. Give it a try and you will not be disappointed! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers