Monday, February 18, 2013

A Touch of New England...



Maine Course
1301 Long Beach Boulevard
Beach Haven, NJ 08008

My cousin and his wife were pretty upset this summer when they went down to LBI for the first time and found out that their favorite place, Tiki Taco, had moved off the island. I have to admit I was pretty upset about it too, but a new place had emerged in its place and it looked right up my alley. My girlfriend and I decided to give the Maine Course a try one weekend on our way down to my house.

The Maine Course is like a seafood shack you would find on the shores of New England. They serve all the regional cuisine you would find up in that area. I knew that we had to get a lobster roll because 1. they are delicious, and 2. they are hard to get in this area. I decided to get a fried whole belly clam sandwich and my girlfriend and I shared both.

The lobster roll was a huge disappointment in terms of size and price. There wasn’t very much lobster meat, and it was incredibly expensive. The flavor however was fantastic. We got it hot with drawn butter, and it was rich as can be. The sweet lobster meat paired perfectly as it always does with the salty melted butter. However, it was about the size of a hot dog, maybe even smaller. I was really disappointed.



My fried clam sandwich was completely opposite. I thought for the price point and the size, it was really a great deal. The taste was also spot on with this sandwich. The clams were crispy as can be, and each bite brought an explosion of clammy, ocean flavor to our mouths. Honestly I felt like there were too many clams on the sandwich and it could have been made better by not putting as many on it.

I would only give the Maine Course a pint and half right now. I think I will go back to the Maine Course at the end of this summer or the beginning of next summer and give it another try. The food was good, but the prices and portion sizes need a little bit of improvement, which I am sure may happen with more time open. I wouldn't quite recommend it yet, but to anyone looking for some fresh seafood and delicious New England fare you might as well decide on it for yourself! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers