Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fresh Fish on the River...



Garcias
398 Northwest North River Drive
Miami, FL 33128

I spent a weekend in Miami this summer with my girlfriend and her family to celebrate her parents’ birthdays. Her dad had been raving about a place on the Miami River that we simply had to try. He took us there on Saturday after his flight got in. The place was Garcias Seafood Grille.



As soon as we walked in I thought we were in for a treat. The outdoor seating area where we got a table was all wood tables and benches, and there were beautiful murals on the walls. They also had many of their specials on a blackboard, a feature that I simply love. After you are seated, your waiter brings everyone little cups with a smoked fish dip in it and provides you with saltine crackers to put the spread on. It was very simple, but extremely delicious. 




I decided to order a cup of the grouper chowder because I had never seen it on a menu before and I absolutely love all things grouper. It’s hard to get in this area, so when I see it on a menu I tend to gravitate towards it. I was really disappointed by the chowder though. When I hear chowder, I think thick, cream based soup with seafood in it. This soup wasn’t cream based, was not at all thick, and had minimal amounts of fish in it. It was pretty bland to be honest, and I was really hoping the rest of the meal didn’t turn out as poorly. 




I had the privilege of trying my girlfriend’s fried conch, and that was absolutely fantastic. Conch is another thing you don’t get much of outside of tropical regions, and I love to indulge in it when I am in those areas. It was crispy, and the meat was sweet, not unlike that of lobster. The aioli that it was served with was sweet as well, punctuating the flavor that much more.



I also got to try my first raw oyster. My girlfriend’s brother in law made me try it, even though he only had 6 on his plate, and in fact he made me eat two. It was unlike anything I had ever had. It tasted so much like the ocean, but not in a bad way. It just tasted so fresh and it was only enhanced by the horseradish sauce and lemon juice that accompanied it. 



My main course was what I was really excited about. I had ordered blackened mahi mahi with maduros, which are sweet plantains that are caramelized. The meal was very simple, but every aspect of it was executed to perfection. The blackening seasoning on the fish wasn’t overpowering, but simply used to bring out the delicate flavor of the mahi mahi. The fish was cooked magnificently, and the sweet plantains that accompanied the fish were outstanding. They were slightly crunchy on the outside, and sweet and fruity on the inside. Maduros are really one of my favorite things in the entire world. They are unbelievably delicious. 



I was really hoping that the key lime pie we ordered for dessert was going to be great because we weren’t too far away from Key West, but I was disappointed on that front. I prefer my key lime pie to be very tart, and this version was simply very sweet. It lacked that make-your-face-pucker-up punch that I like my key limes to have, so I was less than impressed with it.

Three pints for Garcias. Solid effort on their part. Delicious fresh fish served up in a variety of ways. Almost a perfect meal. Garcias was a pretty cool experience, and I would definitely go back again. The scenery alone was pretty amazing, but the food was a little inconsistent. The blackened fish with maduros was spot on, while the grouper chowder and key lime pie fell short in flavor and execution. Overall though I think the good points outweigh the bad, and Garcias is definitely worth a try if you are ever in the Miami area. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers