Monday, July 14, 2014

A Treat from The Spanish Master...



Zaytinya
701 9th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20001

One of the things that I had found out about D.C. before we went and I was doing my research on the food is that the Spanish master Jose Andres has a mini empire there. I knew that I wanted to go to one of his restaurants before we left. We tried to do a large dinner with my friends from college at Jaleo, but we couldn’t get a reservation. My fiancé and I went on Monday before we hit the road back home. We decided on going to his place called Zaytinya, an innovative Greek, Lebanese and Turkish small plates restaurant. It was very chic and modern inside, and also it was huge! There was a ton of seating and tons of bar space. The menu was expansive. It was definitely a lot to take in, but we made up our minds. One of us ordered the fixed price lunch where you got four dishes for $25 and we also ordered two more dishes to share. Those dishes included bantijan bil laban, garides me anitho, adana kebab, seared haloumi cheese, Turkish style pastrima and the Turkish delight.




They brought out this amazing style bread that I have never had before. It was thin and puffy, and boy it was delicious. It was one of the lightest breads I have ever had and I can imagine it would have been amazing with some hummus. The bantijan bil laban and the seared haloumi cheese were the first items out to us after the bread. The bantijan bil laban was discs of fried eggplant with a garlic yogurt sauce underneath and the seared haloumi was a block of the deliciously seared cheese surrounded by halved dates and orange, pomegranate and mint. Crispy crust and perfectly cooked interior to the bantijan bil laban made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It was like Turkish comfort food. I particularly loved the garlicky yogurt sauce underneath it. The crust on the outside of the haloumi was sensational, and the salty, firm nature of the inside was perfection. The sweet, tart bites of the figs mixed with the saltiness of the cheese was heaven in each and every bite. 




The garides me anitho came out next and it was just as delicious as the previous two dishes. Small baby shrimp in a sauce made of dill, shallots, mustard and lemon juice, just proves that even the simplest preparations done correctly are amazing. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the sauce complemented it very nicely. The dill was very prominent and it paired well with the lemon juice.



The Turkish style pastrima was a very interesting plate. It was rolled pieces of cured beef wrapped around a salad of radish, arugula and apricots. It wasn’t my favorite of the dishes we had, but it was definitely still tasty. You could really taste the cured nature of the beef and the freshness of the salad inside really cut through the intense flavor provided by the curing process the meat had been through. 



Last up for the savory part of our meal was the adana kebab. It was a long skewered log of ground lamb that was served over a piece of pita smeared with harissa and a small accompaniment of pickled onions. The lamb was incredibly spiced, and the flavor was fantastic. I love harissa on anything because of its spice level, and the addition of the pickled onions was amazing. I love the acidic bite that they provided.



We split the Turkish delight for dessert and of course I had my espresso. Turkish delight is a traditional Turkish dessert, but this was an interpretation of that dish served with walnut ice cream, yogurt mousse, honey gelee, orange caramel sauce and caramelized pine nuts. I thought it was very delicious. It was super enticing because of the different textures found in everything. The ice cream was cold and creamy. The gelee was chewy and sweet. The yogurt was tangy and the caramalized pine nuts were crunchy and toasty. Everything came together nicely and reminded me very much of the traditional candy.



Three and a half pints for Zaytinya. The ambiance of the place was knocked out. The bar was huge. The menu is large and full of exciting dishes. The price point is a home run. The service was above average. I just don’t have much negative to say about it. I would go back over and over again. Check it out if you are ever in the D.C. area! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers