Monday, July 7, 2014

D.C. Brunchin...



Founding Farmers
1924 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20006

My fiance's cousin and her fiancé wanted to take us out to a nice brunch on Sunday morning when we were visiting and since we were a bit hungover, I was happy to hear that the place had great bloody marys. We headed over to Founding Farmers and waited a little bit before we were taken to our table. It was really packed on Sunday, definitely with a younger crowd, but it had a cool vibe to it. There were a few items that caught my eye on the menu, and after I ordered my bloody mary, I decided on the chicken and waffles with poached eggs.  My bloody mary was on point! It was really nice and spicy, exactly how I like it. The housemade pepper vodka really made the difference. There was great seasoning and lots of horseradish, so it was perfect for my taste. 





We sipped down our bloody marys and talked for a while when we were waiting for our food to come out. Once it did, I was a little disappointed with the presentation of mine. The chicken pieces were kind of small, but they were crispy and delicious so that made up for it. The gravy was a little watery too, which was very disappointing. I am used to thick southern white gravy for breakfast, so the lack of black pepper in it and the thinness of it, I was pretty unimpressed. Also, the poached eggs were really strange. They weren’t what I am used to. The whites weren’t really thick and the yolks weren’t really done properly either. That being said, once I put the gravy on the waffle, and the syrup and the sriracha, the flavor really was there. It wasn’t the best I have had by any means, but it definitely wound up better than I thought it was going to. My fiance unfortunately found a rather large piece of shell in her poached eggs which was a pretty glaring mistake.




After our meals, everyone wanted a little something sweet, so we ordered the banana fluffer nutter which was a toast with banana slices, peanut butter and homemade marshmallow fluff. These were just ok. It was nice to have a bit of sweet to finish the meal off with, but there wasn’t really much special about them.




One and a half pints for Founding Farmers. There was so much to like about this place, but there were a lot of missteps along the way too. I think I would really like to go back and have another meal there to really get the full story, but for now I will say it’s a cool place to have brunch, a great place to have a delicious bloody mary, but I have to imagine that in the food dynasty that is D.C., there are other options out there. If you try a bloody mary, let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers