Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Legend? Ehhhhh...



Shack Shack
2000 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

There had been quite a buzz in the area ever since Philly got its very own Shake Shack outpost. I myself was very interested to see what it was all about, because the New Yorkers that I know had been raving about it ever since it opened here. One Friday evening before heading down to visit some friends in D.C. for the weekend, my fiancé and I stopped in to finally give it a shot.



The menu was pretty plain. Nothing really stood out and made me say wow I gotta try that, so I wound up ordering the smokeshack burger, and splitting an order of fries and a black and white shake. You order at the front of the line and then your number is called when your food is ready. It came up pretty quick, so we grabbed our tray and had a seat.



The smokeshack burger came with applewood smoked bacon, chopped cherry peppers and shacksauce. For me the burger was really underwhelming. The patty was very small, and it really didn’t nail the flavor aspect of a great burger for me. The bun was a run of the mill potato roll, also pretty boring. The bacon wasn’t crispy enough, so the burger was kind of a miss for me. Nothing great. I can definitely make a better burger than that at home. The fries were even more disappointing. They were clearly frozen fries, and I made jokes about them being out of a bag, but I came to find out that they actually were. Shack Shake has since said that they will be doing away with the frozen fries. I just couldn’t believe how bland they were and how much they tasted like prefabricated and frozen fries. I mean fries that you get at any fast food chain in the country are better than these. 

 

Luckily, the shake saved some face for the legendary Shack Shack. It was a truly delicious milkshake. It was rich and creamy and it was thick but not too thick. Sometimes with milkshakes they are too thick and you cant get them up the straw, but that was definitely not the case here. The chocolate and vanilla mixed together created a delicious flavor combination that got them some winning points from me.

One and half pints for Philly's outpost of Shake Shack. Pretty mediocre at best and I was woefully disappointed by everything other than the milkshake. I would hope the original location in New York is better than the one I just went to here in Philly, so I will hold out hope for them. As for Philly's location, you can definitely find better burgers from a lot of our amazing chefs! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers