Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DC Marketplace....



Union Market
1309 5th Street Northeast 
Washington, DC 20002

On the first day of our last visit to D.C., my fiance's cousin and her fiancé took us out to a cool place that they knew we would like for lunch. That place was known as Union Market. It reminded me a lot of Reading Terminal Market in Philly, but it was a little bit more open space. They had tons of different food options, so I had a tough time deciding what I wanted. I wound up finding something that caught my eye called the porkstrami sandwich, so I ordered one with a beer from a local D.C. brewery and I went to sit down with everyone. 



The place I got it from was called Red Apron Butcher, and it was incredible. They made all kinds of sausages, meats, pates and fantastic meat selections. They had tons of meat products and it definitely seemed like my kind of place. The sandwich I ordered came with pastrami style pork, mustard aioli, bacon brined sauerkraut and pork jus on a homemade baguette. It was a pretty tasty sandwich, but I wish the flavors were a little bit more intense. The way the sandwich was described, I was expecting to be smacked with flavor from the first bite. It was a pretty tasty sandwich, but it definitely could be improved. Id have liked to taste more pastrami spice and more of the bacon in the sauerkraut. I really think intensifying those two flavors as well as adding more mustard aioli would make this sandwich incredible. 





I also got to try the tacos my fiancé got from the DC Empanadas stand and I have to say they were very delicious as well. She got three tacos with various fillings, one being tofu, one beef, and one chicken. They were all great in their own right. There was definitely some spicy kicks in the tacos as their should be and the seasoning was right on point.




Three solid pints for Union Market. It’s a really cool place and they have a ton of different options to choose from. You can get so many different things, and there are all kinds of artisan foods to choose from. Everything looks fresh and delicious. Its definitely worth a visit when you are in D.C. so check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers