Friday, March 18, 2011

Wit or Witout

Geno’s Steaks
1219 South 9th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

As I said in my last post, I am sorry it has been sporadic posting for the past month or so. My first tax season has been very busy, and I have had a lot less time to do the things that I normally do than I thought I would, but be on the lookout for posts more often now that the corporate tax deadline has passed.

A few Saturday evenings ago I left work and I went to the Flyer’s game with a few of my friends to unwind after a busy 75 hour work week. I hadn’t had a cheesesteak in a few months previous to going to this Flyer’s game. We decided on going to one of my favorite places, Geno’s Steaks in south Philadelphia. For those of you that have been reading along, you know that I had mentioned that my love for food began with the cheesesteak search that I embarked on when I was about fourteen.

When we made our way to Geno’s, I knew exactly what I was going to get. To me a true Philadelphia cheesesteak is one that has cheese whiz and onions on it. I grew up in the area, and any other kind of cheesesteak may be good, but this is the model for what the Philly cheesesteak should be. I usually choose to add ketchup to my cheesesteak, but Geno’s offers something most Philly cheesesteak stands do not… the mouth sizzling hot sauce that is so incredibly hot that it will make you sweat even in the 20 degree February weather.

The cheesesteak that I had was as good as I have ever had. The roll is always baked fresh the morning of and delivered to Geno’s that day. The whiz was creamy and salty. It added the perfect depth of flavor to the meat and the bread. The onions always add the perfect pairing of flavor with any type of steak, and the rib eye used in Geno’s steaks is tender and delicious. The hot sauce that I slathered on the roll added a lot of spice and life to the cheesesteak, and it is the x factor that keeps me coming back to Geno’s for more and more.

If you are not from Philadelphia, but you happen to get a chance to visit, go to Geno’s steaks and order a “Wiz Wit” and thank me later. If you have already been to Philly and stopped by for a cheesesteak, then you already know what I am talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers