Sunday, October 9, 2011

French Food in the Old City

St. Germain
156 Sol St
Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901

Before I took my trip to Puerto Rico, my girlfriend had been telling me about this French restaurant in old San Juan that her parents visit frequently for crepes that they only serve on Sundays. I was very interested to try this place because I had never had savory crepes before and I was very excited to see how they compare to the sweet crepes I had tasted before.

As I mentioned before, Sundays is the only day that you can find crepes at St. Germain. St. Germain is as close to a French restaurant as you can find in Puerto Rico, and they are really doing some fantastic things. I went to St. Germain with my girlfriend, her sister, her niece and her father. They had a few different options for the savory side of things, but I wound up choosing the shrimp and pineapple creole crepe. It came served with a side salad. The shrimp were some of the best that I had ever had. They paired perfectly with the tartness of the pineapple. They were cooked perfectly and really soaked up the savory, salty flavor of the creole sauce. The crepes were incredibly well done. They were super thin, almost paper thin, and tasted every bit as good as the best pancake I have ever had. 




Not to be outdone, the sweet end of the deal was just as good as the savory side. I ordered a crepe filled with nutella and bananas and topped with vanilla ice cream to share with my girlfriend. We devoured the whole thing quite quickly. It was so sweet and delicious!

I have a whole new understanding of crepes after my visit to St. Germain, and I look forward to trying them in Paris one day! With any luck, that will happen sooner rather than later. If you get the chance and travel to Puerto Rico, don’t miss this gem in the heart of Old San Juan. They are open all week long, and they run their specials for crepes on Sundays. They apparently have an amazing menu for the rest of the week as well. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers