Sunday, October 30, 2011

Old School Feel in Rittenhouse Square

 
Continental Midtown
1801 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

I wanted to go out for happy hour with my girlfriend and a friend of ours from college because we had not seen her since we graduated last May, so a few weeks ago we headed to the Continental Midtown to have some drinks and some food. I was excited to try this place because of the rooftop bar, but I was a bit disappointed by the prices.

I respect Steven Starr a lot because of what he has done in Philadelphia for the food scene, but I cannot believe that there was no kind of happy hour pricing for the drinks and food on the day that we went. At four o’clock in the afternoon you would expect to at least have some sort of reduction in prices of the food and drinks. However, everything was full price, so I wound up paying a lot for food and drinks that I did not really feel was worth it.

I had two drinks, the Singapore Sling and the Sloe Gin Fizz. Both were simply ok, and because I do not really know what the two drinks are supposed to taste like, I’m not even sure that the second drink that I got was what I ordered. They were ok, but definitely not worth the price that I paid for them. The girls really enjoyed their drinks, so maybe I just ordered the wrong drinks.



We ordered the cheesesteak eggrolls and the Korean pork tacos to split between the three of us as well. The food was of much better quality than the drinks, as I enjoyed both things that we ordered. The cheesesteak eggrolls were fried perfectly, and the meat and cheese filling them up were absolutely fantastic. To top it all off, they were served with sriracha ketchup, and I loved every delicious drop of that combination. The Korean pork tacos were wonderful as well. They had an amazing tenderness to them, and the barbeque sauce that the pork was in added a touch of sweetness that rounded the dish out nicely.



I really enjoyed the time we spent at the Continental Midtown and I would not hesitate to go back. The menu is so diverse, and I love eating small plates style, so I would definitely like to eat dinner or lunch there. I know I will be back now that my girlfriend has moved to Rittenhouse Square. You should try it too! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers