Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Summer Time Bar Hoppin...

Tavern on Broad
200 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Summer is one of my favorite times of the year for various reasons, the girls, the sun, and the boozing to just name a few. When I found out that Center City offers happy hour every Wednesday at various locations in a program called Center City Sips, I was extremely excited. I did not get to go out for Sips very often because I have been studying for the CPA exam, but one particular week I went with one of my buddies for dinner to Tavern on Broad before we went out for Sips’ happy hour specials. We took the train to the city after work and walked over to Tavern on Broad for a few beers and some appetizers.

When we got there we had to walk downstairs to get to the bar itself which was pretty cool. The only other place I had done that before was the Cheers bar in Boston. I think it is really cool to have to walk down below ground to get to a bar. So we walked in and took a seat at the bar. Our bartender/waiter was very attentive the entire time we were there. I don’t remember her name, but she was fantastic. I ordered a few Magic Hat #9s and we ordered queso dip with Chorizo and an order of wings to split while we kicked back and relaxed a bit while sipping some brewskis.

When the wings and queso dip came out we started eating, and I was fairly happy with it overall. I love wings, and most types of bar food but I don’t really eat it very often, so I really enjoy it when I get the chance to splurge a little. The wings, I thought, were very good. Although they didn’t have enough sauce for my taste, they had the perfect amount of spice, and the sauce did have good flavor. The chicken was cooked perfectly as well, which always makes for a better wing. 



The queso dip was pretty forgettable. The chorizo was a nice touch, but the queso itself tasted like processed cheese crap that lacked flavor, not to mention it turned cold pretty quickly. I was so hungry that I ate a lot more of it than I really should have because as my buddy described it, “I could make this better in my kitchen.”

Although I didn’t eat a whole meal, I think Tavern on Broad is probably a safe place to get some pretty good bar food. They offer great happy hour specials on most days of the week, so I definitely think it’s a good spot for that kind of thing. And if for nothing else, it is definitely a cool spot to watch Philly sports games, hang out, and drink with your friends. Get out there and try it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers