Thursday, November 10, 2011

Complete Waste of Time & Money

La Campagne
312 Kresson Road
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I heard that it was farm to table week in South Jersey, so we decided to try one of the places that was offering specials. Participating restaurants offered 4 courses for $35. She chose a place that she thought was French, and that claims to use French and Italian methods of cooking, but I’m still trying to figure out what style of food I ate. As you can probably tell, I did not enjoy eating at La Campagne.





When we go out to places that offer menus like this, we each order something different for each course, so that we taste a good percentage of the menu, to really get a solid feel for the menu. So we ordered the she crab soup, the gazpacho, bluefish rollatinis, a seared scallop, barbequed pork chop with corn succotash, flat iron steak, the jersey peach cobbler and the jersey blueberry cake.

We were the only people in the restaurant for the first 30 minutes that we were there, so it was very romantic for us. However when the food started coming out, it all went down hill. My she-crab soup was pretty bland, on top of the fact that it was cold by the time that I got it. I expected the gazpacho to be cold, but not the she-crab soup. The gazpacho was pretty good, but nothing to remember. Next came my bluefish rollatinis and her seared scallop. Both were pretty forgettable. Her scallop was seared nicely, but I felt it lacked seasoning. My bluefish stuffed inside cucumber rolls had a nice smoky flavor to it, but I could not get past the texture. It just felt like mush in my mouth.




Seeing how the meal was going, I was not very excited for the main courses. The pork chop was a little tough, but the barbequed flavor was good. My pork chop actually was ok, but the succotash was just awful. It was simply corn with a few random other veggies thrown in. I was highly disappointed. Her steak was abominable. I am pretty sure it should not have had a faint taste of soap, and that was all I could taste as I ate it. She did not even finish it because it was so bad. Lastly the attempt at dessert was horrendous. My peach cobbler tasted like peaches stuffed into a hot buttered roll. You should not be able to taste pure salt in a bread product ever, but especially not in a crust belonging to a cobbler. I couldn’t believe how bad it was, and I was pissed that the reviews I had read about La Campagne were actually good. Her blueberry cake was a better attempt than mine, but it was definitely not a good dessert by any means.




I had more pictures, but I'm an idiot and I deleted some of them before realizing I hadn't posted this yet. It wouldn't have mattered much because this place was so bad, but I still apologize. I wouldn’t recommend La Campagne to anyone, unless of course you want to eat cheap, poorly prepared food, for way too high of a price. Stay away at all costs. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers