Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Love Me Some Diner Food...

Fred’s Diner
305 N. Bay Avenue
Beach Haven, NJ 08008

Seeing as New Jersey is the diner capital of the world, its only fitting that there be a diner in almost any area of the state. I can vouch for that being true in the Southern part of New Jersey, and Long Beach Island is no exception. Fred’s has been a staple in the island’s memory for a long time: although its been through quite a few owners, it has always been around. They offer traditional diner fare, breakfast all day, lunch, and dinner on a few days of the week.

When you walk into the diner, you are immediately rushed back to the 1950’s. Everything is nostalgic. They have old school juke boxes at the tables, little bar stools under the counter that you can eat at, and even the décor takes you back visually.

But at Fred’s it’s not all about the decoration. The food is very good. They keep the menu simple, yet put their own spin on things. They do the basics right, and that always bodes well for the overall picture of your restaurant. On this particular visit, I ordered the Richmond Spiders omelet, an omelet filled with pretty much every topping you can get. It was served with a side of your choice of toast, mine was rye, and some home fries. I predicted what my girlfriend would order before she ordered it, and of course I was right. She ordered the cinnamon bun French toast. 




I thought that my omelet was very good. I know it’s pretty difficult to mess up an omelet, but I thought it was very good. The omelet was filled with cheese, ham, sausage, peppers, and onions. All of them are perfect things to pair with eggs, so it worked out nicely. The home fries were also wonderful. They were crispy on the outside, and super flavorful on the inside. My girlfriend’s French toast was a bit disappointing however. I thought it was going to be quite a bit different than it was, and so did she, but she ate it nonetheless.

Fred’s is not the best place in LBI to get breakfast or lunch for that matter, but they offer good food for respectable prices. You can definitely get a good meal at Fred’s if you know what you are looking for. It is definitely worth a try at least once, so try it and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers