Thursday, May 17, 2012

Birthday Burger Bonanza!

Pub & Kitchen
1946 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146

My birthday was a few months ago and my girlfriend wanted to take me out to lunch on the day before my birthday because I had hung out with my guy friends from work the night before and we hadn’t had our usual Friday night dinner date. I told her I wanted to go to Pub and Kitchen because I had recently seen that they had taken the voter’s choice for best burger in the city over Village Whiskey and I wanted to see for myself if it was true. I had tasted Village Whiskey’s burger, so I knew I could choose objectively.



I was a bit hungover when we ventured over to 19th and Lombard, so I was really happy to see that they had bloody marys on the menu, and especially one called the Wrangler, a spicier version of the traditional bloody mary with a cherry pepper and freshly grated horseradish added to it. It was wonderful to me as you can imagine since I love spicy food. Being that I was hungover, the bloody mary was even more perfect that it would have been otherwise. My girlfriend who is not a spicy fan, thought it was a bit too spicy. I slurped mine down and felt a lot better after I finished it.




Pub and Kitchen offers two different burgers on their brunch menu, the Parliament burger and the Churchill burger. My girlfriend and I wanted to try them both, so we each ordered one, and we also ordered a special called the disco fries, and waited with anticipation. When the burgers came out, the first thing that I noticed was how beautiful the plates were. Burgers are not usually the most glamorous dishes, but these burgers were really visually appealing. The Parliament burger was made with a traditional ground beef mix that you might find in many other places, and topped with bacon, cheddar, and pub sauce. The Churchill burger was made from a Pat LaFreida dry-aged beef mix made especially for Pub & Kitchen and topped with sautéed onions. Apparently Pat LaFrieda is a famous meat company from New York that has been providing top notch meats to restaurants in that area for years. Their meats are supposed to be the best of the best.




I personally liked the Parliament burger better because of the addition of the pub sauce, bacon and cheese. I thought the Churchill burger’s meat alone was better, but as a whole the burger didn’t have as much flavor as the Parliament burger. The meat however was melt in your mouth tender, and you could really taste the difference and notice the difference between the two textures of the burger meats. That being said, both were very good burgers, and I definitely think they are worthy of being nominated for one of the best burgers in the city. 



The disco fries we got a bit late because our server forgot to put the order in, but they were fantastic when they finally came out. I wish the burgers hadn’t come with fries as well, because I just ate more fries than I probably would have otherwise. The disco fries were topped with a white gravy and cheddar sauce, a fried egg, and what tasted like fried bacon to me. I was in richness heaven while eating these fries. The fries were cooked perfectly, the cheddar sauce and gravy were salty and delicious, and the fried bacon added both an element of crunch as well as a porky layer of fantasticness to the dish. It was some of the best bacon I have ever tasted, and also some of the most unique bacon I have ever tasted. 



I cannot wait to go back to Pub & Kitchen. I know that any friends that I take there will love it. Of course I would love to go back and try some of the other awesome things they have on their menu. Go out and grab a burger, a drink, or anything at Pub & Kitchen and you will definitely fall in love with the place the same way that I have. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers