Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pizza Heaven...

Mellow Mushroom
1185 Lenoir Rhyne Boulevard
Hickory, NC 28602

On the night that I was leaving for the airport, my sister’s husband said he wanted to take me to Mellow Mushroom for a pizza and some beers before I caught my flight. I was a little apprehensive because I missed my flight last time I left from visiting my sister even though I was a half hour early for my flight (screw you US Airways). But he really wanted to go, so we stopped in Hickory on our way to Charlotte to have a beer that he had been raving to me about and some of their delicious pizza (sorry sister!) If you have never been to Mellow Mushroom or seen one around, they are decorated in psychedelic colors and have giant mushrooms decorating the entire place. It was clearly created by people that like to get stoned and eat pizza, but they really nailed the concept, and the pizza is phenomenal.

We ordered our pizza to go, so it was ready when we got there and we grabbed two seats at the bar and ordered a Big Boss Bad Penny each. The beer was fantastic. It was smooth like a Guiness, with very little carbonation and completely tasty from start to finish. It paired really well with the buffalo chicken pizza that we had ordered as well. 



Their buffalo chicken pizza is one of if not the best buffalo chicken pizza that I have ever had. Their crust is thicker than I usually like mine, but it is so well done that I do not mind. The crust is coated in garlic butter and parmesan cheese which makes it more like a breadstick than a crust. The pizza is topped with grilled chicken, caramelized onions, and then swirled around in circles with hot sauce and ranch. The cheese is perfect, and you don’t even miss the traditional red sauce that you usually find on pizza. It is pizza bliss from start to finish and they nail it every time.



Mellow Mushroom is an awesome place to drink some beers and eat some awesome food. Their pizza rocks, and so do their pretzels, but their sandwiches and salads are really great as well. I would recommend it to anyone out there, so give it a try if you have one near you. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers