Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Authentic Mexican in Deep South Philly...



Los Gallos
951 Wolf Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148

My fiancé and I had to do a marriage prep seminar to be able to get married in the Catholic church next year. The first evening lasted from 6:30 to 9:30, so afterwards we stopped by a little place I had been looking to try to pick up some food. Los Gallos is a tiny little Mexican joint in South Philly full of authentic Mexican products, cuisine and people. The walls are decorated beautifully with murals set in the scenery of Mexico. I love authentic taquerias, and this one didn’t seem like it could get much more authentic. The menu was huge and full of Mexican favorites. They had a style of tacos I hadn’t ever seen before, so my fiancé and I decided to order two different kinds of those, as well as some sopa de mariscos and a couple bottles of jarritos. 



We started with the sopa de mariscos. It was packed full of seafood of all different kinds. Mussels, clams, calamari, fish, shrimp and prawns filled up most of the container, but there was plenty of room for the deliciously tasty broth. It was slightly spicy, and very rich in flavor. The seafood flavor really shone through too.

The tacos a la plancha were in a completely different style than I had ever had before. While they started with the choices of typical meats you find in tacos, they had all kinds of additional items in there as well; nopales, radishes, onion, cilantro, grilled jalapenos and lime wedges. I went with the tacos de campechano, a delicious mixture I have had a few times before of chorizo and seasoned beef. My fiancé chose to go with the tacos al pastor.  Both were extremely welcome flavors and incredibly satisfying. What is there not to like about ground chorizo and seasoned beef coming together in double stacked fresh flour tortillas? I really liked the addition of the nopales or cactus in combination with the familiar flavors of cilantro, onion and lime juice. The al pastor tacos were awesome. I love the combination of the salty pork mixed with the sweet juice of the pineapple. It’s a match made in heaven. 



Probably my favorite bit of the meal though was enjoying a delicious jarritos that I have been looking for for years. Every Mexican restaurant that I went to that had jarritos was also missing this flavor, and Los Gallos happened to have it. Guava! It was amazingly tasty. I love the fruit flavor mixed with the carbonation, and the guava really made for a nice soda.

Three and a half pints for Los Gallos. They definitely had some of the best tacos I have had in Philly, and the authenticity of the place is hard to match. The menu is so expansive, that it may take me some time to work through it all, but I fully intend on doing so. Check it out, I know you are going to love it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers